KELAB my-KART SELANGOR: MINUTES OF GENERAL COMMITTEE MEETING, 15th December 2007

Submitted by saa73 on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 - 22:00

KELAB my-KART SELANGOR
MINUTES OF GENERAL COMMITTEE MEETING

Date : 15th December 2007

Time : 6.00 PM

Venue : City Karting, Shah Alam

Attendance :
Fazlur Rahman
Mohamed Yusnee Rahmat Yusof
Shahrul Azlan Ariffin
Gnow chui Luen
Ng Wei Li
Nazarudin Nordin

1. Agenda for the meeting. Shahrul Azlan outlined the agenda for the meeting as follows:
1.1 Overview of the proposed K1 series for 2008
1.2 Discuss the eligibility for participation in the new K1 series.
1.3 Agreed that technical issues for the K1 series, such as kart set up & ballast, to be excluded from this meeting
1.4 Any other business

2. Overview of the K1 series

2.1 The K1 series will use the new 125cc CRG/PRD karts from City Karting.
2.2 There will be 10 rounds of K1 in 2008. The K1 series will commence from round 1 of the 2008 season, currently planned for 12th January 2008.
2.3. The K1 series will be the highest tier offer from Kelab my-KART Selangor, and a step closer to competitive racing at 125cc level or other higher forms of motorsports.
2.4 The cost of participation is RM190 per round for eligible participants.
2.5 The key difference will be the liability for any damage to the karts.
2.5.1 Participants are liable to pay up to RM600 in damages to their karts.
2.5.2 Inspection of damages to be done post-incident and damage costs agreed on the spot.
2.5.3 Kelab my-KART Selangor will not be liable for any damage caused by participants.

3.0 Eligibility to participate in the K1 Series. The following criteria have been agreed:

3.1 The K1 series is open to paid up members of Kelab my-KART Selangor only. Participants must show a valid Kelab my-KART Selangor Membership Card with the the experience level up to "K1" (black colour).
3.2 Participants must pay a refundable deposit of RM600 prior to joining a K1 event.
3.2.1 Any cost of damages will be deducted from this deposit.
3.2.2 Participants must "top up" the deposit back up to RM600, prior to each K1 event.
3.2.3. The deposit will be refunded only at the end of each K1 season.
3.3 Participants must demonstrate sufficient experience in running or racing karts at 100cc or 125 cc level. "Chicken Wing sessions" may be used to assess skills at the 100cc or 125cc level.
3.4 Participants must have a good safety record.
3.5 Eligibility to participate in the K1 series to be officially signed off by the General Committee.

4.0 The proposed eligibility criteria was tested against the following scenario:
4.1 "Returnees".
4.1.1 Refers to karters who have participated in my-KART events in the past, but who may have not participated in club events in the preceding year or more.
4.1.2 The eligibility criteria will apply.
4.1.3 Approval from General Committee required before inclusion as a K1 participant.
4.2 "Talented Outsiders".
4.2.1 Includes karters who have never joined my-KART events at all, but who may have participated in recognised external events, such as AAM sanctioned events.
4.2.2 Includes owners of private 100cc or 125 cc karts.
4.2.3 The eligibility criteria will apply.
4.2.4 Approval from General Committee required before inclusion as a K1 participant.
4.3 "Invited Guests"
4.3.1 Includes experienced karters, usually known personalities in the motorsports fraternity, who may from time to time, be invited by Kelab my-KART Selangor to participate in K1 level events for promotional purposes.
4.3.2. The eligibility criteria will not apply, because these karters will only be allowed to participate in the K1 event on a "once-off" basis.
4.4 "Leapfroggers"
4.4.1 This refers to Kelab my-KART Selangor K3 Members, who have not participated in K2 events, but wish to participate in K1 events.
4.4.2 The eligility criteria will apply. (Hence in a case where the K3 member has no experience with 100 or 125 cc karts, the member will not be eligible for participation in the K1 series).
4.4.3 Approval from General Committee required before inclusion as a K1 participant.

5.0 Demerit System
5.1 The club will implement a "demerit" system.
5.2 Incidents involving K1 participants will be recorded. Incidents to be recorded against the K1 participant will include cases where the K1 participant was involved in some or all of the following: caused an accident, caused damage to their own kart, caused damage to other karts, or caused an injury.
5.3 The General Committee reserves the right to ban the participant from future K1 events.
5.4 The General Committee reserves the right to change the participant's membership status, or even revoke membership in serious cases.

6.0 Any other business
6.1 Chicken Wing Sessions
6.1.1 These refer to ad-hoc karting sessions that will be run for the purpose of evaluating the skills and behaviour of karter.
6.1.2 Proposal for these sessions to be run by a minimum of 1 Club Committee member, and 1 senior karter with minimum 100cc experience.
6.1.3 Details of these sessions to be formalised in a separate meeting.
6.2 Price increase by City Karting
6.2.1 City Karting proposes to raise cost of the 80cc and 100cc series by RM10 each. Consequently, cost to my-KART members and non-members will rise by the same amount.
6.2.2 The price increase has not been accepted, and a meeting will be sought with City Karting to understand and maybe avoid the need for a price increase.

The meeting was adjourned at 7.30 pm.

Kelab my-KART Selangor

Prepared by

Shahrul Azlan Ariffin
Treasurer
Date: 15-Dec-2007

Approved by:

Fazlur Rahman Zainuddin
President
Date:

Dear GC Members,

The minutes of today's meeting for your review, amendment, and hopefully, acceptance.

Let's aim to fully sign off the proposals we discussed, not later than Hari Raya Haji (20-Dec 2007), so that we can proceed to implement the recommendations quickly ahead of the 2008 season.

Forza my-KART!

Azlan

Thanks bro,
Looked pretty much captured the esssence and what we've agreed. However, unless I have missed somewhere in the text, I dont see anywhere about the eligibility of current K2 registered club drivers being addressed? Perhaps you meant to cover this within the paragraph below:

[b]3.3 [i]Participants must demonstrate sufficient experience in running or racing karts at 100cc or 125 cc level. "Chicken Wing sessions" may be used to assess skills at the 100cc or 125cc level.[/i][/b]

If it is, could you please amend or add the appropriate sentences to include the K2 drivers as such?

thanks bro.

a few points:

1. generally captures all our discussions
2. we need to put some parts of this as our upgrade rules in our my-kart manual (prefer using the "book" content type)
3. item 2.4 - K1 pricing for members... was this agreed at RM190? the gap with K2 is too small (i believe the pricing must be commensurate with the perceived difference of K1)
4. eligibility criteria should also include "upgradees" (moving from K2) in addition to the rest like "leapfroggers" etc. for upgradees, the process will be more straightforward provided the driver has done at least (suggested) 3 races without any incident and proven competency.
5. on the CK price increase, definitely we need to re-nego with CK

fazz,

On point 3 - I thought we agreed at RM190. Despite the samll gap with K2, the main difference is the RM600 deposit, that is kept with the club for the full season.

Another thing - we need to discuss and agree the technical details too, eg ballast, etc.

Last night I met up with Ashraff and Muhaymin and went through the main gist of our discussion with them.

Ashraff had an idea about getting commitment from the K1 drivers for the full season, assigning them to specific karts, and if they can't make it, to get a back up to take their place.

Also, a "relegation system" similar to football, where the bottom 2 drops back to K2. He says he discussed this with Fazz once. Any feedback on this idea?

just to explain further - this would make K1 an "elite group", and if we combine this with Naza's idea of allowing privateers to bring their own karts, the series will comprise:

- 10 x CRG/PRD karts used by 10 members "K1 level" who have been assigned to one kart each
- If there are more than 10 eligible karters, then 2 persons may be allocated to 1 kart, but they are "back up" K1 racers who fill in only if the primary driver is away.
- Privateer 125 cc karts -> people like Fazz/Jules/Jason Lu/etc....

Mr President & Committee members,
With only three weekeneds left before round 1 2008, we need to broadcast the appropriate parts of the minutes to the members now if everyone is happy with it. The K1 participants desperately want to know the details to confirm their participation and we need to know their response in order for us to finalise the technical details (ballast, seating size and Position, tests, etc)with CK.

Btw, it would be convenient if participants can just transfer the RM600 deposit direct to the Club's account (or any other proxy account) ahead of raceday.

Naza,

My responses:

i) The minutes of meeting adequately covers the rules & regulations for anyone wanting to join & participate in K1. I think the only missing element was the participation of "Privateer" karters using their own karts in K1. We did not specifically discuss this - I would assume, from your comments, that it will be encouraged, hence freeing up the CRG/PRD karts for non-owners?
If so, you would probably need to make it clear that the rules are for K1 participants using the CRG/PRD, and 125 cc privateer owners will be invited to use their karts, but subject to committee approval and scrutineering of karts before each event.

ii) RM600 deposit would therefore apply to K1 participants using CRG/PRD. Question - do we also impose the same on Privateers with own karts? My thoughts - yes, because they may cause damage to the CRGs too...

iii) Payment deposit - to mykart Promotions Sdn Bhd account because our #$^ club account is still in limbo. I might try opening an account with another bank actually..maybe Al Rajhi or CIMB....cheh...
Anyway - we can provide a/c details for payment via ATMS. However, they must SMS me and then provide copy of receipt printout as proof of deposit.

If the above are clear, we can procceed

[quote=saa73]Naza,

My responses:

i) The minutes of meeting adequately covers the rules & regulations for anyone wanting to join & participate in K1. I think the only missing element was the participation of "Privateer" karters using their own karts in K1. We did not specifically discuss this - I would assume, from your comments, that it will be encouraged, hence freeing up the CRG/PRD karts for non-owners?
If so, you would probably need to make it clear that the rules are for K1 participants using the CRG/PRD, and 125 cc privateer owners will be invited to use their karts, but subject to committee approval and scrutineering of karts before each event.

ii) RM600 deposit would therefore apply to K1 participants using CRG/PRD. Question - do we also impose the same on Privateers with own karts? My thoughts - yes, because they may cause damage to the CRGs too...

iii) Payment deposit - to mykart Promotions Sdn Bhd account because our #$^ club account is still in limbo. I might try opening an account with another bank actually..maybe Al Rajhi or CIMB....cheh...
Anyway - we can provide a/c details for payment via ATMS. However, they must SMS me and then provide copy of receipt printout as proof of deposit.

If the above are clear, we can procceed

[/quote]

clear and proceed. on the dedicated karts... i would leave it open for now.

I would suggest that private karters would have a seperate event from CRG's series. Firstly there technical differences in many ways. 2ndly agree that might damage to CRG should accident happens if we running K1 group included private karter.

Questions that

1.driver commit K1 CRG thoughout the entire season? or can they bring their own 125 of any make to K1 series at anytime of the season?

2.must K1 privateer a valid member of my-kart? If the answer is no then missing the original "exclusive" basis of K1 to kelab my-kart. If the answer is otherwise then must K1 privateer need to clock the 5 races of K2 as mentioned above?

Suggestions that

Run My-kart K1 series exclusive to members only and K1 open to privateer seperately (if my-kart resourceful enough to run both). Open class not necessary my-kart member with the ultimate objective of getting 125cc private karters to join hence,create awareness of my-kart too.

Agree to dedicate/assign kart to driver thoughout the entire season. Had a short discussion with Naza after Sat Meeting that it is possible, but just some techincal issue to iron out such as weight and seat issue. Will bring that out into a seperate topic later once I have sat down with Naza and we will propose.

[quote=naza]Folks,
Lets drop the private kart idea and like Fazz said keep it open for now.

....can proceed lah!.

[/quote]

Let's formally sign this off. Based on the above responses:

Fazz - ok to proceed
Azlan - ok to proceed
Naza - ok to proceed
Luen -
Yusnee -
Wei Li -

[quote=saa73][quote=naza]Folks,

....can proceed lah!.

[/quote]

Fazz - ok to proceed
Azlan - ok to proceed
Naza - ok to proceed
Luen - chopped and signed, proceed
Yusnee -
Wei Li -
[/quote]

----------------------------------
neat, balance and practical

[quote=saa73][quote=naza]Folks,

....can proceed lah!.

[/quote]

Fazz - ok to proceed
Azlan - ok to proceed
Naza - ok to proceed
Yusnee -
Wei Li -
[/quote]

neat, balance and practical

[quote=luen][quote=saa73][quote=naza]Folks,

....can proceed lah!.

[/quote]

Fazz - ok to proceed
Azlan - ok to proceed
Naza - ok to proceed
Yusnee - OK to proceed.
Wei Li -
[/quote]

neat, balance and practical[/quote

PS: agreed to look into K1 privateer issue separately.

[quote=saa73]i think we can proceed...5 out of 6 cats say yes...hey...is Wei Li able to access this Committee section in the first place?...maybe that's why he hasn't responded...[/quote]

no he can't.

Azlan / Folks,
If we all agree to allow privately owned karts to participate in the K1 series, there are only a few rules as per your minutes that would require amendment as shown in bold italics below:

2.1 The K1 series will use the new 125cc CRG/PRD karts from City Karting. [i][b]Privately owned 125cc Rotax Senior Max and Junior Max are allowed to race together but the Senior Max 125 will be treated as a separate class to the Junior Max 125.[/b][/i]

2.4 The cost of participation is RM190 per round for eligible participants. [i][b]Private kart participants will pay all cost of participation directly with the track operator (CK).[/b][/i]

3.2 Participants [i][b]including owners of private karts[/b][/i] must pay a refundable deposit of RM600 prior to joining a K1 event.

So, if everyone is happy with the above, lets proceed to broadcast it.

[quote=saa73]

Ashraff had an idea about getting commitment from the K1 drivers for the full season, assigning them to specific karts, and if they can't make it, to get a back up to take their place.

Also, a "relegation system" similar to football, where the bottom 2 drops back to K2.... [/quote]

Assigning drivers to specific karts in K1?...I support this concept as it is the right way to learn and be responsible for the kart's condition.

We have limited K1 karts (10 units) but I dont agree with the idea of a back up driver to fill in an absentee. If necessary split the drivers into groups just the way we did for the K2 and K3 all along.

I am thinking of assigning 2 drivers to each kart which will make easier for us to work on variations in ballast, seat size, seat position and kart setup. We will need to work on this with CK on how best to work this out as these karts belong to them.

....a "relegation system" similar to football? I dont quite get the rationale behind this idea. In motorsports, drivers fought to get to the top formula and than retire,......no such thing as being relegated! unless they personally opt to leave to a lower / different category on their own request.