2008 TEAMS series concept (superceded for 2013)

This is a preliminary conceptual document posted in the my-KART Core group to solicit ideas, discussions, and in the end refine the my-KART TEAMS series concept.

Goals of TEAMS series

The TEAMS series aims to be unabashedly commercial in nature.

• bring in more spectators
  • drive more corporate participation (eg sponsorship)
  • bring in more race participants
  • replicatable country wide
  • venue neutral - provided 10 karts in good condition can be made available

Concept in a nutshell

Pits teams against teams throughout a year long racing series. Follows football league-style format.

Description

Each event will feature a two team match. Each team could comprise 5 drivers, and all 5 drivers will race against the 5 drivers from the other team. All drivers will be given points (even for non-finishes) according to final positions. There will be podium bonus points to encourage higher finishing positions. The team that wins will be the one that scores the most aggregate points.

It is expected that around 10 teams will participate for the year long series. Each team will then "compete" a total of 18 times in the year - ie each team will compete with the 9 other teams on separate events, and twice against each opponent team (yeah, like football's home and away matches).

The competition format will be similar to the DRIVERS sprint format - with 2 qualifying races and a final. All 5 drivers from both teams will race together.

Selection of drivers will be key. This shall be done in two steps similar to the NFL franchise selection process:

1. assign "franchise" team slots to the team principals
  2. each team principal shall select one driver from the existing K3, K2 and K1 pools in order of seeding of Team Principals from the previous season. the process will complete once all teams have 5 drivers and 2 subs. Other drivers not selected (including unseeded drivers, and newcomers) will become free agents available throughout the year.

to make this interesting, each team principal will need to put a full year investment which will go towards the year end championship prize.

i will discuss these following matters later:

• sponsor arrangements
  • in season driver transfers
I will further develop this document based on your comments.... so please discuss

Comments

edwynlow's picture

this is interesting.. but how many will buy this idea?

TheFazz's picture

would you?

edwynlow's picture

TheFazz wrote:
would you?

Bring it on~ biggrin

timmsm's picture

In general I think the idea is great and I would certainly want to be a part of it.

I do wonder though, if the teams / drivers would be able to arrange sponsorship... The larger corporates who have the spending power tend to be too bureaucratic in nature (look how difficult it was for Azlan to get approval for a couple of RMk from Shell).

It is also a hard sell to promote to companies that the event would bring A&P exposure as the target market and segmentation is not really aligned to the bulk of possible sponsors. Potential sponsors are likely to be corporate bodies that practice Corporate Social Responsibilities where the decision makers have a personal skew towards motorsports!

If the sponsorship hurdles can be overcome, I think the whole concept is great and would be a fantastic success, but as always it is the $$$ that will determine its destiny.

TheFazz's picture

timmsm wrote:
It is also a hard sell to promote to companies that the event would bring A&P exposure as the target market and segmentation is not really aligned to the bulk of possible sponsors. Potential sponsors are likely to be corporate bodies that practice Corporate Social Responsibilities where the decision makers have a personal skew towards motorsports!

good points mark.

this is why one of the key goals of this series is to be spectator friendly. the idea of having only two teams competing at one time will allow greater spectator visibility of who is in which team (team colours!).

when i watched some of the videos suggested by edwyn, i noticed that karting had the potential to be a great spectator sport. however, the problem with karting is that you cannot tell one driver from the other. this is because, the colours are all rojak and there are too many variations of these colours. so if you have a field of 20 drivers, then there would be 20 different/similar colour schemes.

so the whole design of the TEAMS series is to be spectator (and TV) friendly... so that we can get airtime... and thus, corporate branding...

in other words, TEAMS series aims to move karting into the mainstream!

timmsm's picture

TheFazz wrote:
so the whole design of the TEAMS series is to be spectator (and TV) friendly... so that we can get airtime... and thus, corporate branding...

Up With airtime I think the series would fly...

edwynlow's picture

timmsm wrote:
TheFazz wrote:

Up With airtime I think the series would fly...

Don't we have someone from the Engine Block? Maybe we can start from there?