2008 TEAMS series concept (superceded for 2013)
This is a preliminary conceptual document posted in the my-KART Core group to solicit ideas, discussions, and in the end refine the my-KART TEAMS series concept.
Goals of TEAMS series
The TEAMS series aims to be unabashedly commercial in nature.
- bring in more spectators
- drive more corporate participation (eg sponsorship)
- bring in more race participants
- replicatable country wide
- venue neutral - provided 10 karts in good condition can be made available
Concept in a nutshell
Pits teams against teams throughout a year long racing series. Follows football league-style format.
Each event will feature a two team match. Each team could comprise 5 drivers, and all 5 drivers will race against the 5 drivers from the other team. All drivers will be given points (even for non-finishes) according to final positions. There will be podium bonus points to encourage higher finishing positions. The team that wins will be the one that scores the most aggregate points.
It is expected that around 10 teams will participate for the year long series. Each team will then "compete" a total of 18 times in the year - ie each team will compete with the 9 other teams on separate events, and twice against each opponent team (yeah, like football's home and away matches).
The competition format will be similar to the DRIVERS sprint format - with 2 qualifying races and a final. All 5 drivers from both teams will race together.
Selection of drivers will be key. This shall be done in two steps similar to the NFL franchise selection process:
- assign "franchise" team slots to the team principals
- each team principal shall select one driver from the existing K3, K2 and K1 pools in order of seeding of Team Principals from the previous season. the process will complete once all teams have 5 drivers and 2 subs. Other drivers not selected (including unseeded drivers, and newcomers) will become free agents available throughout the year.
to make this interesting, each team principal will need to put a full year investment which will go towards the year end championship prize.
i will discuss these following matters later:
- sponsor arrangements
- in season driver transfers