Feedback on my-KART DRIVER Series Round 1

Submitted by saa73 on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 - 00:41

Today marked another milestone in my-KART - the first time we have run 3 series concurrently with the introduction on K1 125cc CRG series.

We would like to hear your feedback on today's event. How was the overall event for you? What are the areas for improvement? What else would you like to see in our events?

Please consider the following areas in your response:

- Event registration/payment process
- Pre-race briefing covering format, rules regulations and safety.
- Organisation of each race: kart allocation, grid formation, flagging, lap chart, communication of results.
- Event timing: Today we started at 7.30am and finished the last race nearly 3pm. How was it for you?
- Facilities: food/drinks/restrooms
- Kart condition/wear & tear
- MAnagement of safety during the event

[b]Event registration/payment process[/b]

Well, I was late. Came in about 8.15pm. So will have no comment on this.

[b]Pre-race briefing covering format, rules regulations and safety.[/b]

The briefing was good. But I reckon maybe we can make at least one photocopy and stick it on the wall, so that those shy guys or gals who kept quiet even though they do not understand what the brief was about; can read them off the wall. Trust me! There are ppl like that.

[b]Organisation of each race: kart allocation, grid formation, flagging, lap chart, communication of results.[/b]

Kart allocation - OK.

Grid formation - OK. Rd 1 can be excuse as there are some new drivers who do not know what to do. I reckon after 2 rounds, they should be fine.

Flagging - As for flags, there are always not enough and I reckon this is where we have not enough ppl to do it. And also many are afraid of the sun. Because as I remember, when the incident that involves the 2 J's, the drivers who are not involve, do not know whether to pit or to continue in a slow pace. And the ppl at the start/finish line couldn't find the red flag to signal the drivers. I would reckon that we have to get enough flags and ppl to be in position for signaling the drivers because looking at how close the K1 fellows are, it's scary when 1 of them spun. This will create a massive incident. Everyone was bumper to bumper.

Lap chart - This will have to do with the volunteering ppl. Urm.. I reckon that volunteering is good. But we have to assign those volunteers a specific job. I think we have enough ppl for that. For eg: 2 ppl who are from the different group, will be assign with lap charts for a certain; let's say K3 Group B. And this 2 ppl will have to be very alert on when the group is going out. Is the chart printed out yet? So both of them are fully concentrating on K3 Group B. This I reckon will not create headaches where we have to always find ppl who are around the table to volunteer. As for the K1, I reckon you guys should have the transponder as those ppl doing the lap charts are having a hard time seeing those numbers and shouting at the same time. Those karts are just too quick.

Communication of results - OK.

[b]Event timing: Today we started at 7.30am and finished the last race nearly 3pm. How was it for you?[/b]

I reckon we are able to finish a little early in Rd2 because in Rd1, the K1s are not ready yet. Ballasting.. etc. Everyone was still fresh with the whole process. As everyone knows how the process is going to be, it will be a whole lot smoother, I reckon. But like what Naza said, maybe the ballasting, we can do it manually and not rely on the mechanics to put them on for us. Because the mechanics, sometimes need to do repair on K2 or K3. These guys were also running up and down getting ready for out karts. I reckon we should give them an applause for their job. *APPLAUSE* 3pm once in a while, I reckon its ok. It's tiring though.

[b]Facilities: food/drinks/restrooms[/b]

Drinks - OK.
Restroom - OK.
Food - I will leave it to the AJK Makan to certified this.

[b]Kart condition/wear & tear[/b]

Well, as we all know that rental karts are surely very dodgy karts. So if we were talking about performance or balance of the kart, I am not complaining as I know that they are always not in 100% conditions. But I would love the ppl who are new to K2 or K3 to really test their brakes when they are on their warm up lap. Really go full speed and just slam the brakes and even try locking them up. Its a way to know whether your brakes are working well or not. Also check your tire pressure all the time by pressing the tires. I always found out some of the tires pressure are not enough or the tires are already botak (feels like it's going to explode or something).

[b]Management of safety during the event[/b]

Not quite understand this question. If it was about safety precaution preparation, I would say that we have not enough ppl to do it to the best. There are no ppl at standby on the track, so that what ever happens, help is very near. Where as, every time an accident happen.. ppl will have to run from the foyer to the incident. And I don't see the ambulance driving to the incident where James flipped. If we have to pay for those medics to be here.. I reckon they have to be alert of the condition on the track and not just sun bathing there.

Thanks Edwyn,

.....for some very useful observations / suggestions for my-kart to take action on soon. I cant say very much on the K2 / K3 situation as I was full time on the K1...pretty exhausted!

My no.1 concern for the K1 races at the moment is to reduce the time taken for adding / subtracting of the ballast.

..but more important than the above is to get all K1 drivers to behave as though those CRG karts belong to them and accept that the CK mechanics will not be able to do everything we asked in time. Therefore, simple pre race checks on items such as radiator water level, drive chain tension, tyre pressure and installing or uninstalling ballast will definitely help in reducing pressure and turn around time.

Anyway, gotta think deeper about this.....sleeeeepy.

[quote=saa73]Thanks for the responses.

By the way, is anyone going to put up photos from Round 1? Usually by this time we'll have photos either in Facebook or this website....what happened..you folks still tired ah?? ;) [/quote]

Sorry bro.. was caught up with some family matters yesterday, I will upload some of the candid shots asap. Sorry for the delay guys~

[quote=saa73]Wei Li, maybe u could have excluded that photo of me walking back!..I walked AFTER being given the chequered flag.. [/quote]

Dude, for the benefit of those who may be wondering, perhaps you could explain why you had to do that shameful walk then!

Well i guess im having a very terrible bad time on 1st round of Mykart championships. (i know things happen in motorsports)

Let me share what ive saw in K3 class(during race) as pre-race organization was pretty well done.

1. Senior mykart member or marshall or organizer should have given more strict order on how rolling start should be. During each race (qualifying or final) Lead car are not there always (maybe is lack of man power), For my first qualifying, my kart give way in the very last corner before the race begin due to the 1st n 2nd place kart keep a very huge gap in between themself and lead car, because of this, racer behind start jam up and coming up to a full stop. (maybe 1 grid driver think it is a stop start)

2. Final round group B, rolling start are terrible, even im on grid no 5, before the start of the race i was middle of no where end up in grid no 2. (im sure marshall handling the green flag saw how messy it is, there is no complete 2 line before race start)3 Laps of warming up have been done and yet the lining up are still messy. I know marshall cant do anything about this, but early explaination in detail should help all the newbie understand more about rolling start.

3. i think someone mention in this forum, Flag sign are not there when incident happen.

4. i observe few of the incident happen on that day after the race over, final lap before entering pit. 1st i saw a newbie crash his kart into the tyre wall during 1st qualifying as the race finish. (i was crusing as the race is over and entering pit, saw the kart crash infront of me).2nd, K1 race finish, someone crash into the tyre wall near the pit. I just dont understand, the race is over why ppl still wan put themself in racing speed all the way to the pit enterance?

well, currently thats all i wanna voice up. I do enjoy the 1st round even everything is not going well for me.

my dua puluh sen.

Every drivers in k1 should have prepare and fix their own ballast to avoid long turnaround time rather than depending on the mechanics to fix it.

My biggest worry in k1 series are
-what if the kart performance starts to deteriorate just like their 100cc engine? Are they going to rebuild it asap after the particular engine is seized?

-how do we know if the engine are up to par with other rival karts?

-every k1 drivers should know do and dont's on how to treat the engine well (eg. driver shouldn't idle it too long)

Guys,

I was there for the K1 premier and Race 1, so here's my observation. Please take this constructively!

- Kart Prepping # 1, for all karts please at least check ur own brakes BEOFRE you go out each heat. I have emphasised this even from a few years ago....its your life, so please do it.

- Kart Prepping # 2, for K1 guys, as seniors please learn to do more, ie. check ur kart more diligently. Tyre pressures, water in radiator, lube of chain, brake condition, battery terminal secured - EACH time before you race...all these will help ur win and karting knowledge, so please do it. It would be a shame if you all arrive and drive like a F1 star....

- Kart Prepping # 3, if you want to remove the weights, please do it yourself as all it takes is 2 spanners ( as Ramsey suggested ). In future, you may want to mark this ballast with your name so you know this is what you need to attach to your kart even when you swap karts. Best of course, if you can partner with a equal weight driver. You may wnat to reduce the fuel load if the difference is 1-2 kg.....without removing the weights!

- Kart Prepping # 4, esp for K1 - please NEVER drive your kart in the pits as you will short out your RM80 racing spark plug........and you wun win when it misfires in the race or worse, wun start. Ramsey was cautioned by me and I hope he takes it positively.

- Race Start and my commenst are from what I see in K1 start Race 1.
a) there is NO NEED FOR the YELLOW pace kart. The 1st 2 guys should control the pace and approach the start line in tandem and all behind to follow suit. The pace kart is TOO SLOW and this can foul plugs of the 125 karts. ( even 100cc )
b) The starter should NEVER show his intention on when he will start the race. All this 1 finger showing an indication to start race the next round is nonsense. At the current location of the start line, you have 3/4 round for the karts to bunch up.....and please expect that the start can be even on this 1st lap!
c) I was told that the green flag was held high to show the pace kart that the race will start next round......and everyone in the following karts knows that too.
d) For warming up laps, you may want to reduce this for subsequent heats and as said, even start the race on the 1st lap out, which happens in pro racing.

Guys, if you want to experience FULL RACE conditions, the above should be followed as this simulates the situation accurately.

Hope this helps.

[quote=Jules]Guys,

I was there for the K1 premier and Race 1, so here's my observation. Please take this constructively!

- Kart Prepping # 1, for all karts please at least check ur own brakes BEOFRE you go out each heat. I have emphasised this even from a few years ago....its your life, so please do it.

- Kart Prepping # 2, for K1 guys, as seniors please learn to do more, ie. check ur kart more diligently. Tyre pressures, water in radiator, lube of chain, brake condition, battery terminal secured - EACH time before you race...all these will help ur win and karting knowledge, so please do it. It would be a shame if you all arrive and drive like a F1 star....

- Kart Prepping # 3, if you want to remove the weights, please do it yourself as all it takes is 2 spanners ( as Ramsey suggested ). In future, you may want to mark this ballast with your name so you know this is what you need to attach to your kart even when you swap karts. Best of course, if you can partner with a equal weight driver. You may wnat to reduce the fuel load if the difference is 1-2 kg.....without removing the weights!

- Kart Prepping # 4, esp for K1 - please NEVER drive your kart in the pits as you will short out your RM80 racing spark plug........and you wun win when it misfires in the race or worse, wun start. Ramsey was cautioned by me and I hope he takes it positively.

- Race Start and my commenst are from what I see in K1 start Race 1.
a) there is NO NEED FOR the YELLOW pace kart. The 1st 2 guys should control the pace and approach the start line in tandem and all behind to follow suit. The pace kart is TOO SLOW and this can foul plugs of the 125 karts. ( even 100cc )
b) The starter should NEVER show his intention on when he will start the race. All this 1 finger showing an indication to start race the next round is nonsense. At the current location of the start line, you have 3/4 round for the karts to bunch up.....and please expect that the start can be even on this 1st lap!
c) I was told that the green flag was held high to show the pace kart that the race will start next round......and everyone in the following karts knows that too.
d) For warming up laps, you may want to reduce this for subsequent heats and as said, even start the race on the 1st lap out, which happens in pro racing.

Guys, if you want to experience FULL RACE conditions, the above should be followed as this simulates the situation accurately.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Yes I AM AWARE of all these things esp. the fouling issue. About the driving in the pits, there was some miscommunication between the race marshall and the driver asking me to drive further up and comeback again.

Yes this is no frill racing. Everyone should have babysit and taking care of the kart all the time in racing. Even in competitive racing DOES HAVE MECHANICAL FAILURE..Theres no guarantee for a success in competitive racing. Not all people including me could afford to go up to that competitive racing remember?

All of us would wanna have fun but serious in racing. I had an excellent race last weekend with all my friends that most of us know each other. It's a leisure race for us.

[quote=sabelt]Every drivers in k1 should have prepare and fix their own ballast to avoid long turnaround time rather than depending on the mechanics to fix it.

My biggest worry in k1 series are
-what if the kart performance starts to deteriorate just like their 100cc engine? Are they going to rebuild it asap after the particular engine is seized?

-how do we know if the engine are up to par with other rival karts?

-every k1 drivers should know do and dont's on how to treat the engine well (eg. driver shouldn't idle it too long)[/quote]

ramsey,

If the engine is seized, it has to be rebuilt and it will not start anymore.

However, you can never be sure if the engines will be on par.....and this is price you have to pay for "fun" karting with a limited budget. This is reason why some dun join "recreational" racing...

On treating engines rite, the Max is a very tolerant engine but long slow running or idling ( as u mentioned ) can kill the plug resulting is non starts or poor running. Slowly, you all will learn.

Thanks all for the constructive feedback.

One common theme I want to pick up and emphasise is the race start procedure. It is clear that we need to:

- Review and agree the race start procedures for all series, K1/K2/K3.
- Ensure that these procedures are communicated to all drivers.
- Ensure that only knowledgeable volunteers are in charge of the starting procedures, plus lap charts, flagging system, etc

It is clear that there may be "grey areas" in the procedures, and some drivers or some volunteers may not even be fully aware of the procedures.

This is something for the committee to pick up and resolve before the next race.

Like I said, these are areas to improve - but we have done well to run the events generally smoothly and safely but need to iron out the kinks to ensure they run even better!

The following post was transferred from another thread:

CK's mechanics is not too happy with having to frequently fix and unfix the ballast before every race to the affected karts. He suggested that every driver will be given a pair of spanners (FOC) and fix / unfix the ballasts themselves. Personally, I thought its doable along with some simple pre race checks as follows:

- Check tyres and tyre pressures (0.9 bar cold, recommended by CK)
- check radiator coolant level - ordinary tap water
- check drive chain tension- too loose can cause the chain to snap or jump out of the sprocket.
- check battery is securely fastened - bad contact can cause power loss or engine to stop / and wont start at all.
- check fuel level whether adequate
- Report anything loose, especially the ballasts.

Guys, we got to learn to do this to ensure that the kart remains in top condition. These CRG karts are full racing specs type and will serve the driver well if we take care to do the simple checks above. We are not suppose to mess around with the engine or carburettor to ensure a level playing field....moreover CK owns it.

[quote=naza]The following post was transferred from another thread:

CK's mechanics is not too happy with having to frequently fix and unfix the ballast before every race to the affected karts. He suggested that every driver will be given a pair of spanners (FOC) and fix / unfix the ballasts themselves. Personally, I thought its doable along with some simple pre race checks as follows:

- Check tyres and tyre pressures (0.9 bar cold, recommended by CK)
- check radiator coolant level - ordinary tap water
- check drive chain tension- too loose can cause the chain to snap or jump out of the sprocket.
- check battery is securely fastened - bad contact can cause power loss or engine to stop / and wont start at all.
- check fuel level whether adequate
- Report anything loose, especially the ballasts.

Guys, we got to learn to do this to ensure that the kart remains in top condition. These CRG karts are full racing specs type and will serve the driver well if we take care to do the simple checks above. We are not suppose to mess around with the engine or carburettor to ensure a level playing field....moreover CK owns it.
[/quote]

I reckon it's a good thing that the K1 drivers can do that on their own. Also at the same time, other class drivers in K2 or K3 can also learn from it but of course, not handling them. Basically these are some simple brief knowledge that a driver should know, I reckon. So time for me to learn more now~

:)