Official Chicken Wings Session


[b]Official Chicken Wings Session[/b]

As we all know; Chicken Wings is a session where everyone meet up on a specific day and basically have fun flapping those wings. From the feedbacks that we got from Rd1, 2008; there seems to be some participants that aren't still 100% familiar with some rules and regulations on the track, attitude on the track, the basic racing line, what can be done and what can't be done on the track and many more. And that is where the [b]Official Chicken Wings Session[/b] comes in.

[b]What does the Official Chicken Wings do?[/b]
Basically everyone is going to have fun karting and flapping those wings. We have added a session where there will be a briefing on what are the basic knowledge you will need during race day. As we all know that having fun on the track is totally a different scenario compare to the race day. You will get pressure from other drivers, all the karts are taking the same corner at once during the start and many more.

So this [b]Official Chicken Wings[/b] will guide you through all the possible needed knowledge about racing and not practice laps. And all these guides are only given to people who needs them. For example; people who are new to karting, people who have not driven a kart before, people who do not really understand what is the actual racing lines, people who are not clear of the rules and regulations, people who are not familiar with how a proper rolling start should be and many more.

[b]What will happen on the day of the Official Chicken Wings?[/b]
On the day of the [b]Official Chicken Wings[/b], if there are no new drivers or people that needed attention, basically guys.. we will just have FUN! If there are new drivers or people that needed attention on that day, these people will be given a brief on all the possible needed knowledge about karting and racing. They will be going through theory and practical.

For theory, we will cover all the needed topics so that the new drivers or old ones; if you guys think that you need to refresh; will have at least an idea of what are the proper racing lines (clockwise), the rules and regulations, what is allow on the track and what is not allow, the proper rolling start, attitude on the track and many more. Of course, after knowing all these theories, it all comes down to the driver's discipline. After all, even professional F1 drivers do make silly mistakes once in a while.

As for practical, there will be 2 different choices to choose from.
([b]Needed Attention Drivers = NAD[/b])
Choice 1/
The NAD will follow the whole Chicken Winger group out to the track. Which means the old and the NAD will be in the same Chicken Wings Session. Each NAD will be appointed one senior driver. The NAD and the senior driver will start from the back of the pack.

As soon as the session starts, NAD are not allowed to overtake the front pack unless the front runners are really slow. Overtaking are not allowed during cornering. Overtaking is allowed on the straights. The appointed senior driver will then tail you and observe your driving craft for 3 laps.

After 3 laps, the senior driver will try to overtake the NAD. Once the NAD are being overtook by the senior drivers, the NAD will have to try their very best to keep as close as possible to the senior drivers and memorizes what is shown by the senior drivers. The senior drivers will have an option to either wait for you or wave goodbye to you and join the other wingers; only if you are unable to catch up. If you can stick close to the senior drivers all the way; Congratulations~ you have learn a lot on the session.

Which means, for Choice 1 session, NAD are only given [b]3 laps attention[/b] and will be given advices from the appointed senior drivers after the session ended. Please bear in mind that, there are many sessions of Chicken Wings, and the 3 laps attention are only given to [b]one session only[/b]. The NAD will [b]pay for their own session[/b].

Choice 2/
The NAD will [b]rent the 2seaterkart[/b] and will also [b]pay for the session[/b]. The appointed senior driver will first driver the kart for 3 laps; showing the NAD the proper racing line. After 3 laps, the NAD and the senior driver will switch places. The senior driver will guide the NAD through the remaining minutes of the session.

For this choice, the NAD will be given full attention for the whole 10 minutes. Advice will be given after the 10 minutes observation. The NAD can go out as many session as they can afford; as long as they pay for the rent of the 2seaterkart.

But the best way to learn even faster is to take it down to the track and learn from the buayas; joining them on the Chicken Wings; trying your very best to tail them or even overtake them.

Comments

naza's picture

Thanks Edwyn,
I am game to try this out.........anything to create more baby buayas!


edwynlow's picture

Thanks Naza. Appreciated. I too hope to see mykart give birth to more buayas and hopefully are transform to professional buayas competing with the world.


luen's picture

Good program. Up


edwynlow's picture

luen wrote:
Good program. Up

Thanks. Compliment to Naza too.


TheFazz's picture

edwyn

great initiative. we probably need to refine the NAD programme a bit. i have been doing "karting 101" sessions for my colleagues and neighbours recently. i found that it is difficult for NAD drivers to follow the senior driver especially when in a group of more than 3-4. reason being, some drivers are fast, others are very slow.

i am doing a few variations on this. recently, i challenged new drivers to see how fast they can take corners without braking (but lift off throttle). i found that they learn quicker that way. once they have the confidence that the kart won't turn turtle (unless contact), then i can go about teaching racing lines.


edwynlow's picture

TheFazz wrote:
edwyn

great initiative. we probably need to refine the NAD programme a bit. i have been doing "karting 101" sessions for my colleagues and neighbours recently. i found that it is difficult for NAD drivers to follow the senior driver especially when in a group of more than 3-4. reason being, some drivers are fast, others are very slow.

i am doing a few variations on this. recently, i challenged new drivers to see how fast they can take corners without braking (but lift off throttle). i found that they learn quicker that way. once they have the confidence that the kart won't turn turtle (unless contact), then i can go about teaching racing lines.

Fazz,
That is why one NAD is appointed with one senior to follow them. And upon the senior overtaking the NAD, it depends on the good heart of the senior; whether they want to wait for the NAD or not. Rather than asking the NAD to try their best to follow the pack.

It's a chicken wing, so I don't hope to get negative response from the seniors that they are not having fun from the chicken wings. That is why there are 2 choice. And Choice No. 1; it's basically all up to the senior; whether to wait or not to wait.

anyway.. I learn it by chasing you guys. You guys left me behind on my 1st chicken wings with you guys Sad


edwynlow's picture

Fazz,

How about sharing a little bit of the "karting 101" with me and naza or us? Maybe we can combine both ideas...


TheFazz's picture

edwynlow wrote:
Fazz,

How about sharing a little bit of the "karting 101" with me and naza or us? Maybe we can combine both ideas...

firstly, i think having one senior driver per NAD may be ambitious. initially, it may be ok... but as the number of NADs increase.. it is going to be a bit of a chore for the senior drivers: i mean, paying money to drive at half speed on a regular basis is going to challenge even the most altruistic people. Wink

karting 101 for me is to firstly brief the NADs on the basics of karting. i would generally go through a (tiny) bit of technicalities, but usually, try to equate karting with open wheel racing cars from handling perspective - in contrast to road cars. talk about the immediacy of controls and responses.

on safety - typically, NADs will be concerned about turning turtle. senior drivers need to assure these NADs that with the low centre of gravity, wide track and zero suspension movement... the possibility of turning turtle is low - - unless contact of course (always to be reminded). also talk about brakes, and how to avoid understeer / oversteer.

the typical karting 101 programme is a 3 sortie session. first session they go out to get a feel of the kart and try to gain confidence of the kart stability in corners. i tell them to not brake (lift the gas) through certain corners... and see what feedback. after the first sortie, i gather the drivers for group sharing and feedback. the idea is to give them a bit more confidence.

the next sortie i will show them racing lines and braking points. by this time, they would have some form of confidence in corners and braking already... i would take turns leading each driver for a lap each. again, after this sortie we shall gather again for feedback, tips etc.

the final sortie will be a bit of a "race" whereby i will get them to race together. i may opt not to race, but observe only.


edwynlow's picture

TheFazz wrote:

firstly, i think having one senior driver per NAD may be ambitious. initially, it may be ok... but as the number of NADs increase.. it is going to be a bit of a chore for the senior drivers: i mean, paying money to drive at half speed on a regular basis is going to challenge even the most altruistic people. Wink

Fazz, this is where this paragraph comes in.

[i]Which means, for Choice 1 session, NAD are only given 3 laps attention and will be given advices from the appointed senior drivers after the session ended. Please bear in mind that, there are many sessions of Chicken Wings, and the 3 laps attention are only given to one session only. The NAD will pay for their own session.[/i]

But I like your idea on having 3 sessions for them. But would you consider 'Karting 101' as a formal couching session, than chicken wings?


saa73's picture

Good to see this NAD programme taking shape. I spotted the Fazz in action last weekend with his friends and neighbourly NADs - I think he's building up a career in race management due to his poor performance in K1! cool

Anyways, hope this NAD programme takes off.

Go NADs!! Tongue


TheFazz's picture

saa73 wrote:
Good to see this NAD programme taking shape. I spotted the Fazz in action last weekend with his friends and neighbourly NADs - I think he's building up a career in race management due to his poor performance in K1! cool

Anyways, hope this NAD programme takes off.

Go NADs!! Tongue

yeah. cannot cari makan from racing anymore. most people are getting so much better than me. Sad

anyway, time to start building on the other my-kart activity streams: driver development; talent management; and commercialisation. Smile


naza's picture

TheFazz wrote:

.......anyway, time to start building on the other my-kart activity streams: driver development; talent management; and commercialisation. Smile

Been thinking about the same after each time I spun and got ticked off by junior but pressure of work is in the way.


naza's picture

Fellas,
If there are no further comments, Edwyn should release this post to the full my-kart community.


edwynlow's picture

naza wrote:
Fellas,
If there are no further comments, Edwyn should release this post to the full my-kart community.

I will be releasing this post to the public on Saturday morning if there is no further comments. Thanks. Still the documents for the NAD Program is still finishing..


TheFazz's picture

edwyn

overall you have proposed a good programme and i am happy to support this. the senior drivers will also need to brief the NADs on the basics of karting, safety and techniques. feedback sessions are valuable too. so after each sortie, the NADs should discuss their experience with the senior drivers - group discussion is always better as you can also learn from others.


bosozoku's picture

I like... very good indeed Up

especially the part where the NAD 'pay for the session' Tongue


Jules's picture

Good effort....cannot wait for the 1st stream of graduates!

If I am on track - I can always lend a hand.


naza's picture

Jules wrote:
Good effort....cannot wait for the 1st stream of graduates!

If I am on track - I can always lend a hand.

Thanks Jules, we can always use a helping hand anytime. The first "proper" NAD session took place last Sunday and the few NADs hopefully would have benefited to some extent.


oLiviaG's picture

Thank you sifus! The session was very good!! *thumbs up* The discussions after each run is definitely beneficial. Need more chicken wings! Wink


edwynlow's picture

oLiviaG wrote:
Thank you sifus! The session was very good!! *thumbs up* The discussions after each run is definitely beneficial. Need more chicken wings! Wink

I am glad that you guys and gals are happy from this NAD Program. And gaining experience each time on the track. I hope in the next Official Wings there will be more NADs~


naza's picture

edwynlow wrote:
oLiviaG wrote:
Thank you sifus! The session was very good!! *thumbs up* The discussions after each run is definitely beneficial. Need more chicken wings! Wink

I am glad that you guys and gals are happy from this NAD Program. And gaining experience each time on the track. I hope in the next Official Wings there will be more NADs~

Edwyn,
Thanks bro....! for the invaluable contribution and effort. Up


Jac Soo's picture

naza wrote:
edwynlow wrote:
oLiviaG wrote:
Thank you sifus! The session was very good!! *thumbs up* The discussions after each run is definitely beneficial. Need more chicken wings! Wink

I am glad that you guys and gals are happy from this NAD Program. And gaining experience each time on the track. I hope in the next Official Wings there will be more NADs~

Edwyn,
Thanks bro....! for the invaluable contribution and effort. Up

Agree! UpUp


timmsm's picture

saa73 wrote:
Anyways, hope this NAD programme takes off.

[b]Go NADs!! [/b]:P

hahahahahahahahaha !@#@#$#$^%(*()()(^^%$#@#$@#$@#@#@#@!@# Up


saa73's picture

timmsm wrote:
saa73 wrote:
Anyways, hope this NAD programme takes off.

[b]Go NADs!! [/b]:P

hahahahahahahahaha !@#@#$#$^%(*()()(^^%$#@#$@#$@#@#@#@!@# Up

hmm..this joke seemed to have fallen flat on the rest of the group...except Lobster man...I think we're showing our age...??


TheFazz's picture

saa73 wrote:
timmsm wrote:
saa73 wrote:
Anyways, hope this NAD programme takes off.

[b]Go NADs!! [/b]:P

hahahahahahahahaha !@#@#$#$^%(*()()(^^%$#@#$@#$@#@#@#@!@# Up

hmm..this joke seemed to have fallen flat on the rest of the group...except Lobster man...I think we're showing our age...??

nah. only brits will find this funny. SmileUp


edwynlow's picture

maybe because some of us are still new with the club and not sure what the joke is all about Tongue


bombe994's picture

[color=#cc0000]go NADs?
what is this? biology class? Tongue [/color]


karter_stuart's picture

TheFazz wrote:
saa73 wrote:
timmsm wrote:
saa73 wrote:
Anyways, hope this NAD programme takes off.

[b]Go NADs!! [/b]:P

hahahahahahahahaha !@#@#$#$^%(*()()(^^%$#@#$@#$@#@#@#@!@# Up

hmm..this joke seemed to have fallen flat on the rest of the group...except Lobster man...I think we're showing our age...??

nah. only brits will find this funny. SmileUp


hahahahahahahahahah ahhhh i get the joke took me a while but i see now lol

luen's picture

??? ??? ???


edwynlow's picture

I will be updating this soon after I talked with Naza. There will a slight change. Please come back some time to have a read on it. Thanks.


Pages