Need Help Here!!

Submitted by zafiq89 on Sun, 06 Apr 2008 - 22:59

Hi there!

I am a college student that have been interested with karting. I am looking forward to join my-kart at the end of this month (waiting for MARA
money ..hehehe)

I have a few question here ;

1. How much to rent a kart?
2. Can I join races?
3. Do I need to buy an overalls / helmet??
4. What is the max weight for karting ( I'm kinda big )???

Hope there is someone will answer my question.

Thanks!!

Forum topics

Hi Zafiq,

Thanks for the queries. Here's some answers:

i) The walk-in rate for normal customers is usually RM35 for 10 mins on a rental kart. (it may have gone up - I quoted 2007 price).
For my-KART races, you actually get to race 3 times - 2 heats and a finals, which is a total of 24 laps. All that for RM90 (non Member fee at current rates)

ii) Yes, my-KART's monthly DRIVER Series events are open to all. However, it is recommended that you gain some familiarity with kart handling, by trying the rental karts at your own time, or joining one of the informal "Chicken Wing" sessions, in which the experienced my-KART members allocate some time to teach the basics of karting off, and on track. As I mentioned, this is usually a fun session with some learning thrown in for the newbies.
You are welcome to join the next session on 4th May around 12pm, to be lead by our Wing Commander, Edwyn Low.

iii) You don't have to buy overalls, racing suits and helmets for your first time event. Helmets are provided by City Karting, and we would encourage you to wear long sleeved shirt and long pants, and proper sports shoes for basic protection. Once you catch the karting bug, you would tend to buy your helmet, then racing suit, shoes, then move up to customising your helmet, suit, etc....all for style only..doesn't make you race faster! Case in point..I don't use flashy helmets/suits yet can beat those who do..:P

iv) No upper weight limit. However, the heavier you are, the less advantage you have on track unfortunately. For competitions, there is usually a minimum weight and weight ballasts are used to ensure the driver and kart meet the minimum weight.
Anyway, I'm around 75kg and that gave me a handicap in the 80cc and 100cc events, and anything above that will go slower unfortunately, and you will need to compensate with a lot more disciplined and skilled driving.
Right now I race in the 125cc event, where we use ballasts to level everyone's weight as best we can, and I am now more competitive and all that training at the back of the pack has paid off ;)

HOpe this answers your question. I'm sure other my-Karters will give you their opinions too!

In summary - don't worry, you're welcome to join us; do come for the "Chicken Wing" session on 4th May to familiarise, and our next event is 10th May, so do register if you can make it.

cheers
Azlan

Lan is absolutely right about the advantage of being of lighter weight, BUT, our newbie Ben who ways in at 93Kg took second place in K3 in both qualifying rounds, so skill is definately a parallel to weight.

BTW, keep eating AJK Makan, don't worry about it!!

[quote=timmsm]Lan is absolutely right about the advantage of being of lighter weight, BUT, our newbie Ben who ways in at 93Kg took second place in K3 in both qualifying rounds, so skill is definately a parallel to weight.

BTW, keep eating AJK Makan, don't worry about it!![/quote]

yup. ben shalders is no lightweight but did very well in K3. he was not off the podium in all 3 races.

[quote=TheFazz][quote=timmsm]Lan is absolutely right about the advantage of being of lighter weight, BUT, our newbie Ben who ways in at 93Kg took second place in K3 in both qualifying rounds, so skill is definately a parallel to weight.

BTW, keep eating AJK Makan, don't worry about it!![/quote]

yup. ben shalders is no lightweight but did very well in K3. he was not off the podium in all 3 races.[/quote]

...that kart he drove was perfect for his style...well done!

[quote=TheFazz]
yup. ben shalders is no lightweight but did very well in K3. he was not off the podium in all 3 races.[/quote]

..you mean.."Big Ben"??... :P

[quote=jongoh]Thanks bros for replys.

Is there a calender stating venue & time for chicken wings sessions?
Sorry for those dumb questions[/quote]

No lah bro.

Whenever the season buayas are planning a get together or need to qualify some drivers for upgrading officially, they will announce it in appointment column in the forum.

However, I sure some of these guys/gals (read BUAYA) are there every weekend practising to sharpen their tooth errr...skill :P

[quote=jongoh]Thanks bros for replys.

Is there a calender stating venue & time for chicken wings sessions?
Sorry for those dumb questions[/quote]

bro - keep checking these two links for the calendar of events:

http://club.my-kart.org/event (link found on top menu bar)
http://club.my-kart.org/comingevents (link found on side menu of new post list)

hope this helps.

Hi Bros,

Thanks very much for your replys. 1 last question;

May I know how to get in touch with you? I mean if I want to go for practise/outing/gathering with bros here, any guides like maybe talk to the counter to look for my-kart's member? :)

Thanks very much.

[quote=jongoh]Hi Bros,

May I know how to get in touch with you? I mean if I want to go for practise/outing/gathering with bros here, any guides like maybe talk to the counter to look for my-kart's member? :)

Thanks very much.[/quote]
See here for contacts:
http://club.my-kart.org/node/1353

Click here for latest posts/updates:
http://club.my-kart.org/newposts

[quote=jongoh]Hi Bros,

Thanks very much.[/quote]

First thing is to as you said, to ask the operator for any my-karters who are there... anyone from my-kart will be very accomodating, so don't be shy.

You can also find members contacts here http://club.my-kart.org/node/1353

what is the rate for members on joining the races??

If I join the race, what type of race will I be in??

Name of the race that i will be in??

Is there will be a Class-type ( 80cc, 100cc...) which one will I be in??