New Kart Driver Search Programme by MAM

Dear All,

I am keeping this on a My-Kart Core level first.

Last Saturday, I had a long chat with Wai Leong and amongst the topics discussed is the abovementioned program, which MAM has initiated. Although no official annoucement has been made but Wai Leong has told me the following info and his request is to promote this to My-Kart ranks first.

MAM, is embarking on a driver search program and this is targeted for any youngster between the ages of 8 - 16. The requirement is that this youngster ( boy or girl ) must NOT have any competition license and or participated in any sanctioned races ( My-Kart ones, dun count )

The deal is that this driver will go thru a programme where 5 or 6 race meet will be held and it also involves official practise days ( which amounts to 12 - 15 days, a number I can be very sure but surely more than 10 )

Every dealer in town is asked to propose 10 drivers and hence Wai Leong has given My-Kart the 1st priority since he recognises our mass of drivers/eager father, uncles etc. It will be a FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS.

The cost to this on the driver will be about about RM15000 to furnish this driver with a kart, an engine ( of undetermined make, but it will be one make ), consumables and personal gear. MAM will sponsor 50% of the kart, engine as I am told. So, it's not a 100% sponsor which is a good thing as then those whose parents are keen, will also commit some money to the program.

The Program will run for 3 years, as what was mentioned so perhaps some of the RM15000 can be evened out over this period.

Now, the next is the interesting bit.

Wai Leong as mentioned above, recognises My-Kart's presence and he has vouch that he will submit his entries to MAM as a My-Kart team rather than a City Karting stand alone. As I see it, he wants to reduce the headache of finding drivers and hence his easy way out of My-Kart.

So what's in for City Karting or any dealers to do this. Wai Leong has told me any dealers supporting this program will receive some payment of undisclosed amount to run the program ie. practise days. So I guess, this will be a business deal ( as always ) for CK too.

What's in for My-Kart? In return for the support, Wai Leong has hinted that he can then sponsor My-Kart events from this fund he receives from MAM. This program starts sometime in 3rd quarter of year....August?

As mentioned above, I am keeping this on the My-Kart Core so we can thrash out your ideas, questions etc.

Fazz, I tried to call you but ....you are a busy man. Get a PA lar.

Cheers,

Jules

edwynlow's picture

A very interesting program. Too bad that I am too old for this and have no children yet.. ;(

TheFazz's picture

sorry jules - not sure how having a PA would help, but at the moment i am tight on time.

this is a very good development from MAM. certainly i believe my-kart can field a few youngsters. this is quite what the group has been set up for. happy to see more and more kids entering our events. to date we have 3 so far and i know there are more potentials as well.

i think the condition about not having participated in sanctioned events is good, as this opens up to more people who would not have the means to proceed further into serious competition. by this move, it would also be good for my-kart to position itself with MAM as the feeder for pure amateur karters. this is very key for me, as we have always stated that my-kart's mission is to popularise grassroots motorsports by making racing affordable.

what i would like to know more is what is the programme for the drivers who "graduate" the first year season? with clarity here, i would like to build this into the my-kart roadmap.

TheFazz's picture

jules - just found out that the post limitation to CORE is not working. i am not sure how to fix this yet. any help on PHP+mySQL is most grateful.

Hopefully MAM in particular realised that motorsports developement is typically a 2 to 7 years program for a young driver depending on the age he/she started. Meaning, my-kart's role and image will be further enhanced with stronger support from MAM and CK. This in turn should attract "more parents/gaurdians" to get their kids involved in karting and motorsports in general. Its important for MAM to realise that budding drivers need a group like my-kart to "nurture" their talents to a reasonable level for [b][i]almost nothing[/i][/b][i] at the moment......but this may not last. So, MAM must support my-kart as a group apart from the special support to individual talents.

Politics talk: The nation and new talents can really benefit from my-kart!....for me its another form of giving back to the sports society.....for as long as its possible. Smile

Looking forward to this idea taking off soon.

saa73's picture

[quote=naza]
Politics talk: The nation and new talents can really benefit from my-kart!....for me its another form of giving back to the sports [quote]

Yes agreed...my-Kart has always been there for the Rakyat...

karter_stuart's picture

Just to clarify the maximum age to enter is 16 and the program will last for 3 years. Does that mean that if i am 15 now when i turn 17 i cant compete any more? Because if i were to start then two years later i would be 17.

Also what happens if like you have to move countries? must you still have to pay the RM 15 000?

stuart,

I am not 100% sure on the age but if they allow those turning 16 this year to join, then they should allow him in the program till 19....but the latest start age would be 16 - as I inteprete it.

the 15000 fee is to buy ur own equipment so if u move away - u sell ur stuff and recoup what u can but then is a waste of MAM's effort in investing in you.... Of course, there will be genuine cases why they have to leave but the reason they want the parents to commit money is so ppl dun jump out blindly from program....

Anyway, best to ask Wai Leong ok!

Guys,

As mentioned to Fazz, AP and Wai Leong is giving us the hurry up on the submittal of names. Apparently, MAM has requested for a meeting tomorrow with Wai Leong and hence the urgency.

I think we should put in the names 1st since this is a first come first served basis. As long as your child is motivated enough to do this - I think any obstacles can be overcomed.

SO let me start :

1) Brian Eravelly's nephew ( 8yrs old )

Over to you guys....

TheFazz's picture

i can immediately think of the following:

1) Brian Eravelly's nephew ( 8yrs old )
2) Faiz Rahman (fazz's son, 12 yo)
3) Armien Nicolas (venezuelan kid racing with my-kart, 12 yo)
4)

others?

Guys,

Where are the rest???? My-Kart is to be the grassroots source of talent but how lar like this?

Dunno if I said this before - Wai Leong is presently only relying on us for the 10 names since he is well aware we have the mass and public attention.

In return to "assisting" him for the participants - dun forget he gets some funds to run these too plus perhaps sell you some gear, My-Kart will be given some form of "sponsorship" in return for our future events. Me, nothing as this is my personal effort in pushing for My-Karts cause in our karting!

[b]So once again - I appeal for the names PLEASE. I want to be in position to submit the names ( at least 5 - 6 ) this weekend![/b]

Patrick - where is your boy? Father can hang up his helmet lar.
Fazz, waht about your brother's kids?
Mark - your kids??
Mumu - apa macam brudder? Your son Danial too young right?
yeah, my princess ain't a driver material yet and son, too young!

Thanks.

Nohad's picture

Jules wrote:
Patrick - where is your boy?

Trying to convince Edwin to participate. Have to work out a deal with the [b]HOME[/b] Minister too Wink .

Ian is not the aggresive type but hopefully that can be nurtured.

Jules wrote:
Father can hang up his helmet lar.

That's the Sad part.
bosozoku's picture

cool Helluu brudder Rizal Khalid..... howbout your son Aiman Rizal?

timmsm's picture

Sadly I don't think my kids can participate. Amira will be focussed on her studies (yeah right), Sarah is (a) not race savvy yet and (b) has a tighter daily agenda than me with Aikido, Swimmimg etc and (c) also need to get Home Ministry approval. Daniel is 4 years too young!

What about Stuart Gibbs and Armien Nicolas? I saw Nicolas driving has been improving race by race and he was also getting good tips from Mikko last weekend!

Thanks for some responses and suggestion.

Armien Nicolas is already listed, dunno who is Stuart Gibbs. I dun want to be embarassed by putting names which later no one wants to own up! ( Nicolas in under Fazz's entry...) So who can vouch for Stuart's entry and particulars?

Let me share with you a real story - and I think his father wun mind me telling you.

I know a driver name Dominic Ang - who some of you know. His dad told me once, the main reason he exposed his son to karting and competition is to develop his social skills as he was a rather shy and reserved boy, when young. Now, I think you should know who Dominic is and what he has done. I would simply say he is a much more asserted and confident individual - thanks to his dad's far sightedness.

So for Patrick's Edwin ( you had me for a moment...mixing up with that fully grown Buaya Edwin... ) - here's a real case you can use for your HM briefing. The world is full of NGAPPERS - in school, work, business so he better start young on the track!

Tabulating the entries....

No., Name, DOB, Age, Parent's Contact
1, Nicholas Chung Eravelly, 12/11/00, 7+, Alfred Eravelly/0176973866
2, Faiz Rahman, ?, 12, Fazlur Rahman/0193855055,
3, Nicolas Armien, ?, ?, ??,

TheFazz's picture

putting into table format....

NoNameDOB (dd-mmm-yy)AgeParent/GuardianContact
1Nicholas Chung Eravelly12-Nov-007+Alfred Eravelly0176973866
2Faiz Rahman22-May-9612Fazlur Rahman0193855055
3Nicolas Armien???? 

the other possibility is my other son saiful, but he is yet to show serious interest. my brothers' kids are too young.

Nohad's picture

Got approval for Ian by the HOME Minister but now have to check with the Finance Ministry's treasury for financing.

Will meet up with Wai Leong to find out further about the cost + agenda.

Nohad wrote:
Got approval for Ian by the HOME Minister but now have to check with the Finance Ministry's treasury for financing.

Will meet up with Wai Leong to find out further about the cost + agenda.

Great news....for a streamlined approach under My-Kart Banner, please register Edwin using the table lar....

Anyhow, would be good if you can post up any new info u have from your chat with Wai Leong.

cheers,
Jules

Nohad's picture

3Nicolas Armien????

4Ian Tan Tet Ian11-July-9414Patrick Tan017-6898388 / +84 98 687 8338

Yet to talk with Wai Leong

table No|Name|DOB (dd-mmm-yy)|Age|Parent/Guardian|Contact
1|Nicholas Chung Eravelly|12-Nov-00|7+|Alfred Eravelly|0176973866
2|Faiz Rahman|22-May-96|12|Fazlur Rahman|0193855055
3|Nicolas Armien|?|?|??
4|Ian Tan Tet Ian|11-July-94|14|Patrick Tan|017-6898388 / +84 98 687 8338]
5|Vickramraaj Chan Gurusamy|15-09-00|Ken Gurusamy|0122101504|

karter_stuart's picture

3|Nicolas Armien|?|?|??
5|Vickramraaj Chan Gurusamy | 15-09-00|Ken Gurusamy | 0122101504
6|Stuart Gibbs | 04-Jan-'93 | Sandra Gibbs | 017-65-191-03

karter_stuart wrote:

3|Nicolas Armien|?|?|??
5|Vickramraaj Chan Gurusamy | 15-09-00|Ken Gurusamy | 0122101504
6|Stuart Gibbs | 04-Jan-'93 | Sandra Gibbs | 017-65-191-03

Thanks STUART!

Wai Leong apparently is in Jakarta....will see him this weekend, hope he is home!

double posted

Fazz,

Can you please be so kind to fill in Nicolas's details. Kindly ensure he does not have a AAM license to ensure he meets the amateur ranking, needed by MAM.

I have yet to submit this list to Wai Leong who is at present in Japan.

Thanks.

TheFazz's picture

Jules wrote:
Fazz,

Can you please be so kind to fill in Nicolas's details. Kindly ensure he does not have a AAM license to ensure he meets the amateur ranking, needed by MAM.

I have yet to submit this list to Wai Leong who is at present in Japan.

Thanks.

oer... sorry for the late reply. am offline for the moment. anyway, will see what i can do to get the details for armien nicolas.

Nohad's picture

Jules wrote:
So for Patrick's Edwin ( you had me for a moment...mixing up with that fully grown Buaya Edwin... ) !

Fully grown buaya is Edw[b]Y[/b]n...[b]Y[/b] for [b]Y[/b]um![b]Y[/b]um! after he [b]NGAP[/b] those K2 participants for breakfast! [b]Y[/b]ummy...sslllluuurrrrppppPPPPP! AaaaahhhHHH! Burrrrrppppp!!!!!
babyvivian's picture

5) Tecwyn Lim (turned 16 years old on August 2008) Smile

What are the costs involved? Are u sure the maximum age limit is 16 yrs old? :? I dont hold a MAM racing license.

My contact number is 012-3721255
e-mail is tecwyn58@hotmail.com

karter_stuart's picture

Hi Jules

I just wondered if u could confirm if there are any restrictions on entrance to this program for non-Malaysian citizens?

thx stu

In regards to citizenship, I am NOT SURE.

I would suggest you put in your name as an expression of interest and let them sort it out. Nicolas is a VENEZUALAN as far I am told....

Anyone else then?

TheFazz's picture

updated list.

3Nicolas Guillermo Armien Sanz06-Feb-9612Susana Armien / Bladimir Armien(019) 363 4175 / (013) 296 3762
4Ian Tan Tet Ian11-July-9414Patrick Tan017-6898388 / +84 98 687 8338
5Vickramraaj Chan Gurusamy15-Sep-008Ken Gurusamy0122101504
6Stuart Gibbs04-Jan-9315Sandra Gibbs017-65-191-03

Pages