Round 01, K1 race report - Danny Choo opens 2010 with a perfect unbeaten run

Saturday, 2 January 2010
Shah Alam Stadium Kart Circuit (CW)

Please post your race report / experience on this thread.

Race update

K1 1st qualifying report

GrpPosDriverClassGridKartPoints
A1NazaruddinK1-703820
A2TarmiziK1-701216
A3Mohd Hanif Che DinK1-455614
A4Nizam Rahman (nizer)K1-457112
A5Shahrul AzlanK1-706411
A6Lim Eu Jin (infernoelise)K1-458710
A7Fazz RahmanK1-70439
A8Ashraff DewalK1-70258

B1Danny ChoozK1-703620
B2Yusnee YusofK1-705216
B3A MuhayminK1-702514
B4Jason Lu - BM5K1-707312
B5FAIBSK1-458111
B5Zulkifli SamadK1-454711
B7Ramsey SabeltK1-45189
B8Edwyn LowK1-70648

K1 2nd qualifying report

A1Lim Eu Jin (infernoelise)K1-451720
A2Nizam Rahman (nizer)K1-452116
A3TarmiziK1-708214
A4Fazz RahmanK1-705312
A5Mohd Hanif Che DinK1-454611
A6NazaruddinK1-706810
A7Ashraff DewalK1-70759
A8Shahrul AzlanK1-70348

B1Danny ChoozK1-706620
B2Yusnee YusofK1-704216
B3Edwyn LowK1-703414
B4FAIBSK1-451112
B5Zulkifli SamadK1-455711
B6Ramsey SabeltK1-458810
B7Jason Lu - BM5K1-70239
B8A MuhayminK1-70758

Overall Qualifying Ranking

RankDriverClassSeedPoints
1Danny ChoozK1-70540
2Yusnee YusofK1-70932
3TarmiziK1-70130
4NazaruddinK1-70730
5Lim Eu Jin (infernoelise)K1-45-30
6Nizam Rahman (nizer)K1-452328
7Mohd Hanif Che DinK1-451425
8FAIBSK1-45-23
9A MuhayminK1-70422
10Zulkifli SamadK1-45822
11Edwyn LowK1-701322
12Fazz RahmanK1-701121
13Jason Lu - BM5K1-701821
14Ramsey SabeltK1-45319
15Shahrul AzlanK1-702119
16Ashraff DewalK1-70617

Championship update

Final Race Result

PosGroupDriverClassGridKartPoints
1(A)Danny ChoozK1-701620
2(A)Yusnee YusofK1-702216
3(A)TarmiziK1-7032214
4(A)NazaruddinK1-704812
5(A)Lim Eu Jin (infernoelise)K1-455711
6(A)Nizam Rahman (nizer)K1-456110
7(A)FAIBSK1-458239
8(A)Mohd Hanif Che DinK1-45738
9(B)Fazz RahmanK1-70437
10(B)Edwyn LowK1-703226
11(B)A MuhayminK1-701235
12(B)Zulkifli SamadK1-45274
13(B)Ramsey SabeltK1-45683
14(B)Ashraff DewalK1-70812
15(B)Shahrul AzlanK1-70721
16(B)Jason Lu - BM5K1-70560

Championship report

Overall Standings after Round 01

RankDriverCatPointsQualifying
1Danny ChoozK1/702040
2Yusnee YusofK1/701632
3TarmiziK1/701430
4NazaruddinK1/701230
5Lim Eu Jin (infernoelise)K1/451130
6Nizam Rahman (nizer)K1/451028
7FAIBSK1/45923
8Mohd Hanif Che DinK1/45825
9Fazz RahmanK1/70721
10Edwyn LowK1/70622
11A MuhayminK1/70522
12Zulkifli SamadK1/45422
13Ramsey SabeltK1/45319
14Ashraff DewalK1/70217
15Shahrul AzlanK1/70119
16Jason Lu - BM5K1/70021

Comments

TheFazz's picture

Idea

pls post your race report and experience here. UpUpUpBeer

luen's picture

Congratulations podium finishers.

We would send out kart evaluation forms to all drivers, please provide us email address, thank you.

1. zul - zulsamad911@gmail.com
2. Fazz Rahman - fazz27@gmail.com
3. edwynlow - edwynlow@gmail.com
4. Nazarudin - naza2851@yahoo.com
5. Yusnee Mohd. Yusof - yusnee@gmail.com
6. Shahrul Azlan - shahrulazlan@gmail.com

saa73's picture

Keywords for my first race: "Susah mau cari makan", "sayyyyy", and "watch out captain, if I push the engine any further..she's goin to blow!!" (Quote fromn Scotty of Star Trek)

I should've have guessed that the day would turn out how it did, balloted "lucky" kart #4....hmm...and to top it off, all the TeleVAS drivers were paired with an Aliens driver....I wonder if the Aliens TP had anything to do with that?

I was first up on the jnr 125 on Mojo "Jojo" tyres....goin out on the formation lap...it was a totally different feel, handling was great, so grippy!....cool!

Although it was quite unnerving for me to have my mum, dad and sister watch my first outing, the first heat went quite well for me, just enjoying the new tyres and thanks to Ashraff for spinning out and taking out a couple of other drivers (must have been Eu Jin or Fazz) at the end of the first straight, giving me my 5th place in heat 1. However, I did notice that the bottom end was not so great, and the engine momentarily cut out in places. This problem actually turned out to be a loose air hose which caused my Alien partner Edwyn to stall and having to change karts in his first heat. It was the sign of things to come...

Well, in the second heat, the problem came to a head, as I was not getting power out of the corners, and knew something was seriously wrong as the K1B drivers inched ever so close to my backside! Well, the moment the entire K1B group overtook me, the engine slowly died..I was lucky enough to be at the pit entry by then, and cruised in to the mechanics....hopped into Kart 22 and did my last lap so as not to DNF. Back at the pits...mechanics gave the verdict, engine overheated...and as we found later when kart#5 also died, we suspect that the engines may be revving too high due to being on Mojo tyres....oh well

Unsurprisingly found myself in Final B with a few familiar old faces...but was happy to take Yusnee's Kart#2 as Edwyn was also in the same final. Kart #2 had great bottom end but I noticed the top end was capped (i think intentionally), but a great kart overall. I was 7th on the grid, and managed to climb up to 6th and tailing Ramsey...while at the same time Mr Ashraff Dewal was sniffing at my back...around lap 6 or 7, as I turned the first corner, i was ready to pounce on the unsuspecting Ramsey, but screwed up my line and went a little wide, allowing the Dewal fella to come over to my right, "box" me in behind Ramsey as we took the mickey mouse corners...rats! Spent the last 2 laps trying to overtake Ashraff, and even locking wheels at the parabolic curve as I anxiously went wide...and all the time mindful that I had old friend Jason Loo sniffing at my rear too... but managed to hold on and secure 7th place...not doing any better from my grid position.

I am sure the committee will be doing a review of the K1 karts based on round 1.....but overall it was still a fun start to the year...and a reminder that I need to start improving my fitness again hahaha!

TheFazz's picture

overall an excellent way to start the new K1 and K2 spec series.

i had a fairly good outing. the karts were great, but my driving failed to get me the results i wanted.

qualifying 1 saw me starting from P4 on the grid. i managed to stay in 4th after the start, but was dropping back slowly from the leading 3. perhaps i was a little too cautious with the wet patches on the track. soon enough, i was hit from behind at the end of the chicanes and spun. i dropped to last, but made up one spot when ashraff spun later in the race.

qualifying 2 was from P5 on the grid. i had a great early few laps running in 3rd, but not quick enough to catch the flying eu jin, tailed by nizer. i maintained the pace, as best as i could do was fluctuating up to about 0.5secs slower than eu jin & nizer. then i had reigning champion tarmizi on my tail. bugger. he got past me at the end of the main straight. i tried staying with him at turn 1 and positioned my kart on the outside - but giving just enough room to enter the chicanes. we both went through the chicanes side by side, but he had the inner line entering the parabolica. and that was that. glad to put up a fight! Smile

final b. as a result of sub-optimal performance in qualifying, i ended in final b. bah. a p4 grid start would be challenging. as the race started, i made a fairly ok start and stayed in p4. but i knew i had a few other people smelling to pass me. first of them was ramsey. i tried to stay close to the leading trio of muhaymin, edywn and zul. lucky for me, the 3-way battle allowed me to close in. but something happened at the first hairpin: ramsey went sideways into the hairpin, and got past me. but i had to fight back by the second hairpin, and positioned myself for a tighter exit out of hairpin 2 to retake 4th. i then went about attacking zul, and took advantage when both edwyn and zul tried to pass muhaymin: i got by zul. edwyn got past muhaymin a little later and i followed his line past muhaymin as well. thanks to edywn for opening muhaymin's tight door for me. Tongue i then stayed close to edwyn and pounced under braking to take the lead and win final b. phew!

my most satisfying final b race so far. God, i love dogfights. Smile

edwynlow's picture

Heat 1:
Azlan came back from his first heat complaining about the engine having problem picking up. But I told him, let's try for another heat and see if it was driving method that causes the problem or eventually is the engine that causes the engine. The truth was out when the engine died on me with 5 more laps to go I reckon. Try to start the engine again to continue but couldn't. Went straight back to the pit to take the spare kart and manage to do my last lap. Obviously finish last.

Heat 2:
Took the spare kart out. It was a familiar chassis to me, the Swiss Hutless. The mechanics took the new Mojos from the CRG kart and replaced it on the Swiss Hutless after I was told that the engine is dead. Trying to adapt back to the new chassis in the first few laps made me lost couple of positions. But manage to climb back up to P3 after overtaking Faibs in a 'it's now or never' corner. Manage to maintain my position all the way till the end.

Final Heat:
Maintaining with the spare kart, and starting at P3 from the grid, it was an intense yet exciting race from start to finish. The race started with me mainting at P3 at T1. Mumu was very defensive and was always at the center of the track creating problems for Zul to overtake. Eventually the 3 of us were sticking to each other from the chicance all the way to parabola till the braking point for the right hairpin. It felt like our chicken wings sessions. Woohoo~ Zul was trying all sorts of line to create a hole for himself but made a mistake when he took the racing line and create a chance for me to overtake him. This time it was me who was trying to overtake Mumu but at the same time protecting my position from Zul and others. I was always switching from racing line to defensive and to racing line again. I kept my foot down eventhough the kart was eventually nudging Mumu who was slightly slower at corners or sometimes in the straights. Finally manage to overtake Mumu at the parabola using some special rainbow lines. Made a mistake at one of the corners, forgotten to check if anyone was behind me and took the racing line opening a huge space for Fazz who was behind me waiting for a chance. As soon as Fazz overtook me, he manage to open up the lead slowly and won the race with me following behind in P2.

Overall:
Fantastic race but will need to talk to CK about the engine condition pairing with the Mojos. 2 engine died with just 3 heats out of 6 heats completed.

euss72's picture

Heat 1:

Had a fairly good start from the middle of the pack & followed the front runner closely. Came to 3rd or may be the 4th lap..mumu went sideways at the mickey mouse turn. Zul & I just managed to avoid him..came to parabolic Zul dive in from inside. Ramsey was in front of us but close the line came into the tight right hair pin. Zul & Ramsey got tangle. It was just then I say an opening on the outside & managed to avoid them. Finished 2nd behind Chooz.

Heat 2:

Start from the P4, 2nd row behind Jason Lu. It was a good start and managed to get into P2 behind Chooz. The kart performed quite well with just a bit of spatting on the straight..managed to catch up with Chooz but wasn't close enough. Finished 2nd again behind Chooz.

Final A:

Start from P2 beside Chooz. Managed to overtook him but it was just a few second moment and Chooz's fight back. I realized that his kart no7 is just damn bloody fast & not to mention with Chooz in it..I can't even get close after that. Finish 2nd overall.

TheFazz's picture

euss72 wrote:
Heat 1:

Had a fairly good start from the middle of the pack & followed the front runner closely. Came to 3rd or may be the 4th lap..mumu went sideways at the mickey mouse turn. Zul & I just managed to avoid him..came to parabolic Zul dive in from inside. Ramsey was in front of us but close the line came into the tight right hair pin. Zul & Ramsey got tangle. It was just then I say an opening on the outside & managed to avoid them. Finished 2nd behind Chooz.

Heat 2:

Start from the P4, 2nd row behind Jason Lu. It was a good start and managed to get into P2 behind Chooz. The kart performed quite well with just a bit of spatting on the straight..managed to catch up with Chooz but wasn't close enough. Finished 2nd again behind Chooz.

Final A:

Start from P2 beside Chooz. Managed to overtook him but it was just a few second moment and Chooz's fight back. I realized that his kart no7 is just damn bloody fast & not to mention with Chooz in it..I can't even get close after that. Finish 2nd overall.

you guys are not creative. every race chooz and yusnee ar?

chooz's picture

[b]k1a - group b race 1[/b]
started 3rd behind seyz. followed closely after green when he opened up i moved to the inside and took lead. mumu tried couple times to follow up but he spun. few laps later saw the pack was almost 10secs behind when i took flag.

[b]k1a - group b race 2[/b]
started 6th. managed to squeeze thru to 4th on first corner. followed closely and slowly making my move up one by one. took flag with almost 5secs ahead.

[b]k1a - final a[/b]
pole position. started clean. yus tried to move in but not close enough. opened up gap later to another 5secs win.

overall good kart, good race, great mojo jojo. a perfect start Smile

TheFazz's picture

chooz wrote:

congrats dude!

sabelt's picture

chooz wrote:
started 3rd behind seyz. followed closely after green when he opened up i moved to the inside and took lead. mumu tried couple times to follow up but he spun. few laps later saw the pack was almost 10secs behind when i took flag.

started 6th. managed to squeeze thru to 4th on first corner. followed closely and slowly making my move up one by one. took flag with almost 5secs ahead.

[b]k1a - final a[/b]
pole position. started clean. yus tried to move in but not close enough. opened up gap later to another 5secs win.

cheh lansiiii

euss72's picture

sabelt wrote:
chooz wrote:

[b]k1a - final a[/b]

cheh lansiiii

yealah kan!! verryyyy!! ceh! Smile

NiZeR's picture

k1a - group a race 1
started middle of t pack. follow fazz few laps notice his but all over t corner and stuck behind him until early braking by Fazz n ter"bump" his but then he spun.very2 sorry boss yr "but" so hot...try to catch upt pack but so far.finish 4th.

k1a - group a race 2
battle wth eu jin till finish.got few attempt to overtake eu jin but cannot match eu jin kart coz my kart got no low end pick-up.manage to stick behind him until over.great fight.

k1a - final a
started clean.still struggle wth low end power battle wth eu jin again notice his head is throwing all over t corner..tired arrr but he still manage to close t line until t chequred flag.

overall good kart, juz need to solve low end power wth mechanic..att NAZA