beginners?

Submitted by istoo on Tue, 03 May 2011 - 22:28

Hi,

I noticed the threads here are old, i do hope it is still used, the website looked very informative.

I was directed to your forum by a collegue at a trackday. I have just recently moved to KL from the UK with my family. I am a trackday enthusiast back home and have sold up my fleet of cars to fund this adventure. So in need of some petrol fun and without the funds to buy something interesting (yet) I have been directed here.

My oldest son is 12 he has been karting about a dozen times, i took him to an event prior to leaving the UK where i just couldnt keep up with him (junior/senior cadets as well) so we were matched power/weight. He has been brought up aroud cars so is a natural enthusiast also. Like any proud dad i like to think my boy has a bit of natural talent as its nothing he has been taught. So would like to introduce him to the world of karting, I hope this is the right place.

i havent raced karts but have been in and around track/hilclimb/sprint cars for a decade.

Can we just sign up? Is it suitable for kids? Words of wisdom and advice are very welcome.

Forum topics

First of all welcome to my-kart, our club is motorsports grassroot based, anyone is welcome.

As long your son can reach both throttle and brake without extra padding, he is ok to drive. Is fairly easy to join our event, simply turn up on the event date on 14th May next Saturday, 7:30am. Pay RM100 for 2 heats and 1 final on a 80cc rental kart, is that simple. Yes, no admin fees no hidden costs, just RM100.

For more detail, you may search on our Rules and Regulations and the event dates link .
See you and your son at track!!

Excellent, he fits in a junior cadet Katy in the UK, and younger middle son age 8 is nearly as tall. Can I try them out in a rental Kart first? Ie a trip to one of the circuits to see?

Had read of the site, will read some more... but on the whole. I think this is an excellent idea, and very accessable. Sets a great example for others to follow.

[quote=istoo]Excellent, he fits in a junior cadet Katy in the UK, and younger middle son age 8 is nearly as tall. Can I try them out in a rental Kart first? Ie a trip to one of the circuits to see?

Had read of the site, will read some more... but on the whole. I think this is an excellent idea, and very accessable. Sets a great example for others to follow.[/quote]

Iain - welcome to my-kart.

my friend luen is correct, it's just that simple. all our events are organised on rental karts only as our goal is to create an affordable and accessible entry level racing.

additionally, all the stuff on our site - as is how our club is run and organises events - are strictly voluntary contributions. we are probably the only "crowd sourced" karting group in the country. ;)

let us know if you need further clarification, as you go through the website content.

hope the event went well, sorry had some "at home" crisis so never made it.
Planning for the next one, will check out the calender

revival.

Sorry i missed the past two events some other things came up whicoh couldnt be moved. But my son is really really wanting to go. So we are up for the 2nd of July event as well.

Where can you recommend as a first off to make sure middle son fits the kart and for older boy to get some practise in here. i expect the temperature here will make it a lot harder compared to getting windchill at home and trying to stay warm!

[quote=istoo]Shah Alam 0730 on Saturday 23rd... hope to be the first outing.[/quote]

Bro... our race will be at Sepang 08:00am (23rd Jul)

[quote=bosozoku][quote=istoo]Shah Alam 0730 on Saturday 23rd... hope to be the first outing.[/quote]

Bro... our race will be at Sepang 08:00am (23rd Jul)[/quote]

That saves a bit of embarassement, termina kasih :)

Set the alarm for earlier then :)