Restructuring all our karting series

my-kart today is into its 10th year of organising amateur karting series for all enthusiasts like us.

the idea is to make racing affordable & accessible, fun & exciting, safe & professional and sustainable & relevent.

we are proud that the my-kart family has grown over the years, with many great people who above all are passionate about the sport and keen to help each other out.

in order to sustain this idea and philosophy for the next 10 years and more, we need to do a major rethink.

i would like to invite all of you to join us in rethinking the my-kart formula. we need a major refresh, new blood, new ideas and new people. the old folks like me - will need to step aside to give opportunities for others to take ownership of my-kart.

of late, we have seen more my-karters organising events using new and exciting formula - which has proven to be successful.

but we also need to ensure that the many new events do not clash or stretch the same enthusiasts.

we are currently exploring expanding the my-kart product range to focus specifically on the following categories:

1- CADET category
2- ENTRY LEVEL category
3- INTERMEDIATE category
4- ADVANCE category

our friends mike siva, baharin, iskandar and francis have recently introduced the Karting & Racing Development (KRD) series running on cadet karts, 80cc and 125cc (private and rental) karts (usually last Sunday of the month). facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/KRD/277090602349223

likewise, our friends syamsul razmin, zul atfi and hasmi izan are organising the Initial Karting Competizione (IKC) series running on 100cc yamahas at the Plus Speedway circuit (usually second Saturday of the month). facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Initial-Karting-Competizione/1...

In a meeting on 3rd March 2012, the group agreed to combine (streamline) all the above categories into one event (or product) for each category. The effective date of this is to be decided further upon decision on:
1- combining the calendar of events
2- dealing with the points system of more than one series

Subsequent to the above meeting, further discussions were held on 11th March and 14th March. Unfortunately, it was not possible to combine all the events under KRD into the my-kart umbrella. Nevertheless, we will respect KRD's decision on this matter and we wish them all the best in their plans.

The my-kart team (inclusive IKC members Syamsul, Hasmi and Zul Atfi) will be working together to re-introduce the 125cc rentals, as well as expanding the 100cc rentals. So stay tuned.

As such, the revised series streamlining will be as follows:

categoryold seriesold series datesnew my-kart seriesnew series dates
CADETn/an/an/an/a
ENTRY LEVELDRIVERS series K3first saturdayK80first saturday (DRIVERS series calendar)
INTERMEDIATEIKC 100cc Yamahassecond weekendIKC100second weekend (IKC calendar)
ADVANCEDRIVERS series 2012 K1 (150cc*)first saturdayK125 (rental)first saturday (DRIVERS series calendar)

*the 150cc 4-stroke machines will be re-positioned for the INTERMEDIATE series and help expand the options for the new my-kart IKC100 series.

naming of the series are still being refined. feel free to provide ideas.

feel free to discuss.

Comments

TheFazz's picture

the calendar of events are as follows - feel free to comment.

my-kart DRIVERS series calendar
(my-kart calendar guidelines on http://club.my-kart.org/node/3720 ):

Round 01, (CW) 7 Jan 2012 - 7:30am
Round 02, (CCW) 4 Feb 2012 - 7:30am
Round 03, (CW) 3 Mar 2012 - 7:30am
Round 04, (CCW) 7 Apr 2012 - 7:30am
Round 05, (CW) 5 May 2012 - 7:30am
Round 06, (CCW) 2 Jun 2012 - 7:30am
Round 07, (CW) 7 Jul 2012 - 7:30am
ramadhan & aidil fitri break: 21 Jul to 20 Aug 2012
Round 08, (CCW) 1 Sep 2012 - 7:30am
Round 09, (CW) 6 Oct 2012 - 7:30am
Round 10, (CCW) 3 Nov 2012 - 7:30am
Grand Finale, Saturday 8 Dec 2012 - 7:30am

IKC Intermediate series calendar

round 2, Mar: 10th @ SPC - night race Counter clockwise
round 3, Apr: 15th @ SPC - day race Counter clockwise
round 4, May: 12th @Sepang - day race Clockwise
round 5, Jun : 10th @ SPC - day race clockwise
round 6, Jul : Date & Venue TBC
round 7, Aug : Date & Venue TBC
round 8, Sept : Date & Venue TBC
round 9, Oct : Date & Venue TBC
round 10, Nov : Date & Venue TBC
round 11, Dec : Date & Venue TBC

KRD calendar - to be obtained...

camel90's picture

This is a good news. however, i've just had 2 questions about this :

1. with the new 'KRD Cadets' and 'KRD 80' series are running alone on seperate event than usual on the same day as much faster series, will it generate enough attention is at is right now?

2. for the new 'KRD125 (rental)' series and with our K1 gone, i'm sure we will have more drivers going into this series. with their current rental drivers from KRD plus our K1 drivers, will we have enough rental karts for everybody?

i'm all for this. this new restructure programme looks more organized!

TheFazz's picture

camel90 wrote:
This is a good news. however, i've just had 2 questions about this :

1. with the new 'KRD Cadets' and 'KRD 80' series are running alone on seperate event than usual on the same day as much faster series, will it generate enough attention is at is right now?

good point. i don't think so, as many current K3 drivers come only for the 80cc karts. but, they may miss out on the spectacle of the faster karts.

the next question is whether they would have less motivation to move to faster karts?

camel90 wrote:
2. for the new 'KRD125 (rental)' series and with our K1 gone, i'm sure we will have more drivers going into this series. with their current rental drivers from KRD plus our K1 drivers, will we have enough rental karts for everybody?

i'm all for this. this new restructure programme looks more organized!

should think so. based on the chats we've had with citykarting and the current K1 numbers - the karts should be enough.

camel90's picture

TheFazz wrote:
camel90 wrote:
This is a good news. however, i've just had 2 questions about this :

1. with the new 'KRD Cadets' and 'KRD 80' series are running alone on seperate event than usual on the same day as much faster series, will it generate enough attention is at is right now?

good point. i don't think so, as many current K3 drivers come only for the 80cc karts. but, they may miss out on the spectacle of the faster karts.

the next question is whether they would have less motivation to move to faster karts?

just a thought,

if we combine the 'KRD Cadets' and 'KRD80' series with the Grand ADVANCE series of 125cc rental and privateers on to the same day. will it be too crowded and too messy in terms of management?

obviously we need a whole lot of committed volunteer team for this. hurmm.

TheFazz wrote:
camel90 wrote:
2. for the new 'KRD125 (rental)' series and with our K1 gone, i'm sure we will have more drivers going into this series. with their current rental drivers from KRD plus our K1 drivers, will we have enough rental karts for everybody?

i'm all for this. this new restructure programme looks more organized!

should think so. based on the chats we've had with citykarting and the current K1 numbers - the karts should be enough.

if that's the case, you should start the registration for the next round sir! i don't want to miss the chance of getting a race seat! hahahah! biggrin

liang's picture

so the plan is to merge everything into 4 classes of race, ie cadet, entry, intermediate and advance?

is it possible to squeeze all into one same day every month? maybe more efficient like the next category immediately start after the previous category ended. It'll definitely need more volunteer to help out tho.

camel90's picture

liang wrote:
so the plan is to merge everything into 4 classes of race, ie cadet, entry, intermediate and advance?

is it possible to squeeze all into one same day every month? maybe more efficient like the next category immediately start after the previous category ended. It'll definitely need more volunteer to help out tho.

EVERYTHING? i think it will be too much to handle bro. maybe 2 series in 1 day is possible. we depend on volunteers which happen to be the drivers too Sad

TheFazz's picture

camel90 wrote:

if that's the case, you should start the registration for the next round sir! i don't want to miss the chance of getting a race seat! hahahah! biggrin

we're having a meeting this sunday 11 Mar at 10am at Burger King Shah Alam to decide on this. (you're welcome to join in).

once agreed, i will open up the event registration. Wink

TheFazz's picture

camel90 wrote:

just a thought,

if we combine the 'KRD Cadets' and 'KRD80' series with the Grand ADVANCE series of 125cc rental and privateers on to the same day. will it be too crowded and too messy in terms of management?

obviously we need a whole lot of committed volunteer team for this. hurmm.

yes, it could potentially be very crowded, messy and over long.

it could only work if we have lots of volunteers running each category. but then sometimes there are technical issues which delay races - so not good to keep participants waiting too long and way past lunch time.

TheFazz's picture

camel90 wrote:
liang wrote:
so the plan is to merge everything into 4 classes of race, ie cadet, entry, intermediate and advance?

is it possible to squeeze all into one same day every month? maybe more efficient like the next category immediately start after the previous category ended. It'll definitely need more volunteer to help out tho.

EVERYTHING? i think it will be too much to handle bro. maybe 2 series in 1 day is possible. we depend on volunteers which happen to be the drivers too Sad

agreed - it will be too much to cram all categories into one day. we try to do it in manageable numbers first.

liang's picture

so how about 2 days, 2 categories for each days.

camel90's picture

TheFazz wrote:

we're having a meeting this sunday 11 Mar at 10am at Burger King Shah Alam to decide on this. (you're welcome to join in).

The one at Extreme Park is it? I'll be there then if i don't have anyting comes up. :).

TheFazz's picture

camel90 wrote:
TheFazz wrote:

we're having a meeting this sunday 11 Mar at 10am at Burger King Shah Alam to decide on this. (you're welcome to join in).

The one at Extreme Park is it? I'll be there then if i don't have anyting comes up. :).

yes, that is the one. easy to find.

TheFazz's picture

liang wrote:
so how about 2 days, 2 categories for each days.

could be overkill for some.

but i guess, your point is to create that carnival, big-event atmosphere right? it just boils down to manpower (volunteers). if we can get more of that, then ok. at the moment it is a little difficult - without having to employ people.

TheFazz wrote:
liang wrote:
so how about 2 days, 2 categories for each days.

could be overkill for some.

but i guess, your point is to create that carnival, big-event atmosphere right? it just boils down to manpower (volunteers). if we can get more of that, then ok. at the moment it is a little difficult - without having to employ people.

If you need any assistance, just hit me up, I'm more then happy to help.

TheFazz's picture

lovef1 wrote:
If you need any assistance, just hit me up, I'm more then happy to help.

thanks for the offer. we'll do that in the next round.

TheFazz's picture

dear fellow my-karters,

we had a meeting today to discuss the above matter. at the moment, there are a few things that needs to be ironed out... so hope that you can bear with us for a little more.

cheers
fazz

juz curious why CK offer good package to other Series(Kxx) than my-kart series...something not right wth CK or...? thats ONE of the many reason why my-kart series r less karters,they should take care my-kart more than others after 10 yrs grow wth CK...aaayaa!!

Zul atfeo's picture

NiZeR wrote:
juz curious why CK offer good package to other Series(Kxx) than my-kart series...something not right wth CK or...? thats ONE of the many reason why my-kart series r less karters,they should take care my-kart more than others after 10 yrs grow wth CK...aaayaa!!

10 years? I should have joined my-kart 10 years ago...

luen's picture

My-Kart has always had the vision of diversity; having races organize throughout Malaysia states or perhaps overseas. The original idea setting up MY-KART was to have MY-KART Selangor, MY-KART Johore, MY-KART Kedah or MY-KART Singapore (SING-KART, THAI-KART ?), etc, perhaps it will bring to Sepang International Circuit for international events.

Aligning to this direction, other operators and karting groups affiliation are very much filling up the puzzles. What importance is MY-KART as a brand or group that cohering these karting groups and operators in consequence of much more affordable diversities.

Emerging karting operators (businesses contention) inherit better packages offering that would likely seeing as healthy sign for the motorsports industry. After all it benefiting us as consumers to have better affordable solutions to cure our adrenaline issue, do you agree? Haha.

Just chipping in my 2 sens worth.

NiZeR wrote:
juz curious why CK offer good package to other Series(Kxx) than my-kart series...something not right wth CK or...? thats ONE of the many reason why my-kart series r less karters,they should take care my-kart more than others after 10 yrs grow wth CK...aaayaa!!
TheFazz's picture

Luen - yes, my-kart has always been about diversity. we cannot afford to be very narrow in the way we do things as this will result in many parties being excluded. the karting community is too small to be excluding parties... and thus we need to combine forces.

the biggest problem for motorsport in malaysia is that the market is small. to make matters worse, it is fragmented in many different groups. my-kart is intended to serve the grassroots enthusiasts whoever they are. that is why we as enthusiasts must combine forces.

by combining forces, and building synergy - only then we can make things more affordable or raise the quality for everyone.

TheFazz's picture

Zul atfeo wrote:
10 years? I should have joined my-kart 10 years ago...

yes, you should. people like you who are passionate about the sport are the lifeblood of my-kart.

TheFazz's picture

NiZeR wrote:
juz curious why CK offer good package to other Series(Kxx) than my-kart series...something not right wth CK or...? thats ONE of the many reason why my-kart series r less karters,they should take care my-kart more than others after 10 yrs grow wth CK...aaayaa!!

we need to refresh things moving forward. the old formula has to go.

Round 4, my kart drivers series ni cancel ke??? Or still on??

TheFazz's picture

amad_1011 wrote:
Round 4, my kart drivers series ni cancel ke??? Or still on??

it's still on.

TheFazz's picture

please note that i have updated the main post. you can view the previous version (before revision) here: http://club.my-kart.org/node/3771/revisions/4183/view

the main changes are to the table to streamline the various series.