Helmets

Submitted by Nohad on Fri, 17 Nov 2006 - 23:04

Any good place to go (in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand) to look for certified helmets for track use (cars).

So far I seen most of them are for bike use.

Any ARAI fans? My friend will be able to import for me from Japan, go do a search of the model and then I will get quotation from him. I am looking for one too.

----------------------------------
neat, balance and practical

[quote=luen]Any ARAI fans? My friend will be able to import for me from Japan, go do a search of the model and then I will get quotation from him. I am looking for one too.

neat, balance and practical[/quote]

love arai too ... i've been dying to have one for soo long ... but if i buy here (morac) ... it will damn expensive ... last check it was RM3k+ ... and it's GP5-s ... not SK-5 ... it will damn cheaper to buy straight from japan ... but no idea lar how much it will be after shipping and taxing ...

i buy bikes helmet because it is lighter... not so much of neck pain. so stick to arai, the lightest so far i can find. even shoei is heavy, bell is worse

Don't Just DRive IT, fEEL it!!!

if u guys go to Japan, or have a contact there ... go and buy either SK5 (kart racing) for less than RM1,000 , or GP5s (auto racing) for as low as RM1,300 only ... hard to believe when i first heard it ...

Arai GP5X (auto racing) selling at Japan 41,000 yen that is about RM1,281.00 wthout shipping cost. I am getting official quotation from an important (fren of mind) including shipping and taxes.

by the way click below for ARAI helmet techincal specs.

[url]http://www.araihelmet-europe.com/php/araitecs/AraiTecsIII.p…]

[quote=luen]Arai GP5X (auto racing) selling at Japan 41,000 yen that is about RM1,281.00 wthout shipping cost. I am getting official quotation from an important (fren of mind) including shipping and taxes.

If SA2005 with that price ill ask your friend to buy.

[quote=luen]Arai GP5X (auto racing) selling at Japan 41,000 yen that is about RM1,281.00 wthout shipping cost. I am getting official quotation from an importer (fren of mind) including shipping and taxes.

[quote=luen]GP-5X is JAF standard. Price at 41,000 yen.
GP-5s SA2005 Price 50,000 yen, that is approximately RM1,562,5 excluding import duties.

GP-5s
[url]http://www.arai.co.jp/jpn/jp/news/gp-5s/gp-5s.html[/url]

GP-5x
[url]http://www.arai.co.jp/jpn/fullface/gp5x_t.html[/url]

what about gp5k?

can not find GP-5k but only at the european website. Whats available from Japan are GP-5, GP-5s and GP-5xfor the GP series.

What's more, the karting SK-5 only 30,000 yen that is about RM937.5

[quote=luen]can not find GP-5k but only at the european website. Whats available from Japan are GP-5, GP-5s and GP-5xfor the GP series.
[/quote]
That's because in Japan the GP-5k is the GP-5s, if I remember correctly the fit of the Japanese version is different to the 5k. It's a helmet designed with saloon/rally car racing in mind - it has less air ventilation than the GP-5, and a larger eye-port (GP-5W still more suited for closed-cockpit racing).

ok fellas let me ask a really basic (stupid?) question here...
i'm currently using Arai, RX7-RR4 model, which is basically a motorbike helmet.
bought it in usa, and i think it conforms to snell stds (can't recall, need to check later when i get home).
ok spare me the technicalities on specs for auto and motorbike usage (since obviously i'm not gonna use it for top-level open-wheeled auto racing, nor superbike/motogp), and pls excuse my total ignorance, but to a casual, occasional, recreational, amateur karter like me, it boils down to this: is my helmet sufficient (in the case of my-kart events, up to k2 use) or should i really consider getting a proper auto helmet?
i would have thought a decent-specs motorbike helmet offers better protection than an equivalent auto helmet due to, if anything, to the obvious fact that a motorbike rider is more 'exposed' to the surroundings in the event of a crash (or could i be spectacularly wrong here...?)
ok guys... once you have gotten up from having fallen off that chair, either due to sheer disbelief or trying to control your laughter (or both!), pls educate me...

veedubs rulez!

For casual karting which includes K2, K1 - any close face helmet will do as long as it's in good safe condition.

Bike helmets are ok for karting and yes, if you fly off a kart - it replicates a situation you hope to avoid on bikes.

Car helmets are used mainly in karting competitions but bike helmets too - there's no rule to say you cannot, at least it must be a CLOSE helmet. The only other ruling is that they should meet the stipulated standards which can mean SA2000, SA2005 ( not yet seen in races SR yet ) or the simpler BS.

Btw, car helmets have a smaller eye port mostly and a thicker visor 3mm. Some of fire retardant which is not required for karting.....and some car helmets have also chin spoilers which are not so suited for karting cos when you fly off and roll, the chin spoiler may break your collar bone.....not nice. Same can happen on bike helmets too but less chance....

So in a nut shell, buy the most expensive helmet you can afford to protect your most precious asset....er, your MAIN HEAD!

cheers.

[quote=Jules].........So in a nut shell, buy the most expensive helmet you can afford to protect your most precious asset....er, your MAIN HEAD!

cheers.

[/quote]

If you intend to go to track often in your car, buy a FIA approved helmet or any helmet approved by a recognised motorsports body. If you can't afford it now, go on track with caution and restraint until you can! Those at the HPC event down in Pasir Gudang will tell you why this is important.

[quote=OSFlanker][quote=Jules].........So in a nut shell, buy the most expensive helmet you can afford to protect your most precious asset....er, your MAIN HEAD!

cheers.

[/quote]

If you intend to go to track often in your car, buy a FIA approved helmet or any helmet approved by a recognised motorsports body. If you can't afford it now, go on track with caution and restraint until you can! Those at the HPC event down in Pasir Gudang will tell you why this is important.[/quote]

What happen?

OSF and guys,

Can I relate to you a REAL INCIDENT which most who attended the last ROK Rd 5 will know.

As you know, all our racing gear must be scrutinised along with the kart. This includes the helmet.

Our young driver, a newbie - had the latest gear in everything so passed the scrutinising easily.....

During the race, he had a harmless tangle which saw him riding on top of someone at Turn 1 Elite. Somehow he came off the kart backwards and BASHED his head on the tarmac - yes, head first.

His gleaming white, all latest approved helmet BOUNCED OFF HIS HEAD next like a ping pong ball literally but lucky his head was by then off the ground and he did not snap his head....

Thankfully he pick himself up and walked away....until he met YOURS TRULY, for a PUBLIC INQUIRY.

To cut a long story short, he fastened his helmet incorrectly and did not use the double buckle on his helmet.....he looped his strap once and clip it on the provided buckle....instead of double lopping it thru the 2nd buckle!!!!!

The moral is we can scruntise everything except your knowledge....

OSF,
Onwards to Pasir Gudang - bravado and lack of skills is a bad mix. No one got injured, thankfully. No helmet can save you 100%.

As instructors, pls analyse WHY this happen in first place to prevent repeats. You also spun me at T11 and I hope u know why..... :)

Drive safely..

[quote=sabelt]No point having the latest approved helmet without fastening it properly. PERIOD. [/quote]

.....in fact no point having ANY helmet if it was not fastened properly. That reminds me....must check whether my family members know how to fasten them properly.

Maybe, we introduce "how to fasten the helmet properly" briefing in mykart's monthly races similar to MAS stewardess briefing on how to fasten seat belt, life jacket....etc......but we dont have mykart stewardess (our own Steward AROC? .......no?).

[quote=naza][quote=sabelt]No point having the latest approved helmet without fastening it properly. PERIOD. [/quote]

.....in fact no point having ANY helmet if it was not fastened properly. That reminds me....must check whether my family members know how to fasten them properly.

Maybe, we introduce "how to fasten the helmet properly" briefing in mykart's monthly races similar to MAS stewardess briefing on how to fasten seat belt, life jacket....etc......but we dont have mykart stewardess (our own Steward AROC? .......no?).[/quote] maybe we could ask W & J to do the demonstration?.... :)

[quote=luen]Arai GP5X (auto racing)[/quote]
GP5-X is not an auto racing helmet, it's a motorcycle helmet styled after the gp5 auto racing series.

I sell bell helmets, starting from RM1500 for SA2000 ones... I'll post more later I gotta run now.