IMPORT DUTY EXCISE AND SALES TAX EXEMPTION FOR MOTOR SPORT

Submitted by naza on Mon, 26 Nov 2007 - 18:53

Folks,
Perhaps your prayers are answered?

CHEAPER TO COMPETE - BETTER EQUIPMENT

The Minister for Youth and Sports Yang Berhormat Dato' Seri Azalina Dato' Othman Said announced today that the Ministry of Finance has approved a duty and tax exempt scheme for vehicles (go karts, cars and bikes) used exclusively for motor sport competition. The exempt scheme also includes part and components, tyres and safety apparel. The Minister said that this will make motor sport more affordable and she hopes that the initiative will further spur the development and growth of motor sport in Malaysia. In many cases the saving to competitors will be 30% or more.

The exempt scheme will be managed by Motorsports Association of Malaysia (MAM) and will be introduced gradually over the coming months.

...more details at http://www.mam.org.my/news_26Nov2007.htm

Forum topics

[quote=bombe994][quote=luen]Arai GP-5s here we come[/quote]

[color=#cc0000]straight away GP-5 la bro ... ;)[/color]
[/quote]

Mr Bomb,
if no duty on it, how much ah?....time to reward myself :)

[quote=naza][quote=bombe994][quote=luen]Arai GP-5s here we come[/quote]

[color=#cc0000]straight away GP-5 la bro ... ;)[/color]
[/quote]

Mr Bomb,
if no duty on it, how much ah?....time to reward myself :)
[/quote]

[color=#cc0000]should be less than 3k ... not sure how much is the current price ... but last time i checked few years ago it was about 4k ...[/color]

[quote=naza]The Minister for Youth and Sports Yang Berhormat Dato' Seri Azalina Dato' Othman Said announced today that the Ministry of Finance has approved a duty and tax exempt scheme for vehicles (go karts, cars and bikes) used exclusively for motor sport competition.[/quote]

i am a little wary about the phrase "used exclusively for motor sport competition". what if you wish to use them for recreation?

[quote=TheFazz][quote=naza]The Minister for Youth and Sports Yang Berhormat Dato' Seri Azalina Dato' Othman Said announced today that the Ministry of Finance has approved a duty and tax exempt scheme for vehicles (go karts, cars and bikes) used exclusively for motor sport competition.[/quote]

i am a little wary about the phrase "used exclusively for motor sport competition". what if you wish to use them for recreation? [/quote]

Right bro, I am even more concern about the following statement extracted from MAM's website which says:

"Importers and local manufacturers are allowed to import and sell the above items duty/excise/sales tax free directly to competitors and teams holding valid MAM licenses". So, what if you do not hold one or already has one issued by AAM?

[quote=naza]
Right bro, I am even more concern about the following statement extracted from MAM's website which says:

"Importers and local manufacturers are allowed to import and sell the above items duty/excise/sales tax free directly to competitors and teams holding valid MAM licenses". So, what if you do not hold one or already has one issued by AAM? [/quote]
Just great....

I guess the real competitors who actually race in events have to obtain an MAM license under a fake name if they want cheaper gear?

How many karting races has MAM organised(0)? How many have they got on the schedule for next year(0)?

Are you able to get a CIK-FIA licence from MAM so that you can race in overseas events if you get the itch(NO)?

in short MAM for local race sanction, AAM international race sanction.

CIK-FIA or FIA those belongs to international event. Just a question though, if my-kart sanction to MAM, wonder if driver of other nationality is allowable? hmmmm....??

[quote=luen]if my-kart sanction to MAM, wonder if driver of other nationality is allowable? hmmmm....??[/quote]

As I understand it, MAM is or will be affiliated to AAM. This understanding or agreement was brokered by FIA in Paris recently. Secondly, it was agreed that AAM will retain its role as FIA's only Malaysian Motosport body authorising International events and MAM over National events. Therefore, if my-kart is affiliated to MAM, than it will just be up to National level regardless whether the driver is local or foreign. I stand to be corrected.

then how to differentiate nation and international level? My kart can organise event in Malaysia but does it only confine to only Malaysian if affiliated to MAM? If not then what is the difference that of open international event organized in Malaysia just like MME?

Maybe i am still little confuse about international and national event, what will be the main criteria?

[quote=luen]in short MAM for local race sanction, AAM internation race sanction.[/quote]
That's what MAM claim... but it just doesn't make sense. AAM has been sanctioning local races for years.

If I want to get an international karting license I first have to obtain a national level AAM license and then change that into a International C license the next year. If I was using an MAM license I wouldn't be able to do that the way things are now.

I hope they are planning to cooperate because some of the stuff sounds good but there is zero reason to have another sanctioning body.

i would like to set a session to discuss further with MAM/AAM etc.... so would appreciate if you can list down your questions etc....

1. Will AAM recognise MAM or will they recognise each other? As we knew that only AAM is the sole entity to issue competition license for motorsports in the country recognised by the international sporting body.

2. If they can work together, how is the implementation like. AAM issue license and MAM promote the events or how? As we can see now MAM also issue license which I personally think that it is not recognise by AAM.

If I am not mistaken sometime back there was a similar situation lead by the government and have failed because AAM & them cannot sit together. If I am not mistaken it was because of an individual (mat salleh) who was ambitious running it for the government. Government being government have political motive and AAM as the sole entity will never let their authority taken away.

Instead of meeting MAM why don't you guys meet AAM 1st and find out what they have got to say and then meet up with MAM. My reason to this is simply because the karting sports is very much controlled by AAM. It is apparent in MAM web site at this moment they are only organising or promoting events like scooter & mini bikes races and also 4x4 challenges.

my 2 cents

[quote=yazidm]Instead of meeting MAM why don't you guys meet AAM 1st and find out what they have got to say and then meet up with MAM. My reason to this is simply because the karting sports is very much controlled by AAM. It is apparent in MAM web site at this moment they are only organising or promoting events like scooter & mini bikes races and also 4x4 challenges.[/quote]

we will consider this. our goal is to get some clarification of the current situation and how all this helps my-kart build the sport from the grassroots up.

any other questions?

[u]pls append to the following list:[/u]

1. Will AAM recognise MAM or will they recognise each other? As we knew that only AAM is the sole entity to issue competition license for motorsports in the country recognised by the international sporting body.

2. If they can work together, how is the implementation like. AAM issue license and MAM promote the events or how? As we can see now MAM also issue license which I personally think that it is not recognise by AAM.