How can we be better?

Of late, we admit that our events have not met the expectations of our members and participants.

This results in declining participation over the season, and across seasons.

There are many factors contributing to this:

• quality of equipment
  • event management
  • rules
  • others

We admit that there are many failings. However, we also need your help identify the best way to address these failings.

As mentioned in many parts of this site - please remember that my-kart is based on the volunteer contributions of the community. So as such we welcome criticism, but we welcome more if the criticism comes with solutions & volunteers to help implement.

So in the spirit of improving this in my-kart, fire away!

continuing discussion from http://club.my-kart.org/node/3761

[quote=Esmond Yong]"we opted for the former. initially there were spares available but we ended up with just enough karts for the finals - due to many failures during the day."

This were the reason i got penalize not because i did something wrong or break the my-kart rules, but because of the lack of coordination of karts. Kart #42 was given to me randomly and not by me picking that kart. And i got penalize because my-kart couldnt supply another spare karts to me. I hope this cases won't happen again on next month race. Cheers.[/quote]

again, esmond - fair point.

yes, i admit my-kart couldn't supply any spare karts which meant that you had to take #42. but you also have to think of the top qualifying driver who was denied the choice of #42 because the coordinators for the K3 finals felt that #42 had a significant unfair advantage over the other karts.

what would you suggest? (K3 volunteers - feel free to chip in here)

On equipment quality, my views are the best karts will be in K1 or K2. This is where everybody would want to be at. The target is to have exclusve karts for mykart which drivers will partner to "take care" and "maintain" the kart while learning the finer skills of racing and off track skills.

K3, which is run on rental karts, are entry level category where we all learn to drive competitively. It is rather difficult to ensure best quality karts as this relate closely to commercial feasibility. Rest assured that ALL mykart members would have to and/or had been through the ups and downs of driving the 80cc comer karts. And rest assured that K3 is not where we compete the finer skills of racing.

On K3, weight and "luck" are factors contributing to successful outing. There are just too many variables to mention in K3--kart performance, driver weight, chasis quality, tyre quality, tyre pressure, kart allocation, driver skills, etc etc.

Based on my experience, mykart has the best system, process, and procedure for a "fair" competition on rental karts.
1. for heats, karts arrangements are fixed on the grid. only driver grid position change in reverse order for the two heats.
2. drivers need to pay attention to kart performance
3. finals are determined by qualifying points
4. best driver chooses kart first but line up last on the grid

In K3, drivers develop that sense of competition albeit not always a very fair one. The element of responsibility and volunteerism. Mykart provides a platform for people of the same interest to mingle with each other, in an organized manner, to enjoy doing what we all share in common. apart from racing skills, race ethics, and race procedures, we encourage members to participate in kart sorting, allocation, gridding, race marshalling, lapcharts, point system, etc. Winning the K3 category is for the fun and enjoyment of it. It is not a conclusive show of race craft. For that, you need to upgrade to K2/K1 category.

So, K3 participants, hang in there. Participate in all aspects of racing. Familiar ourselves with each other, event organizing, mykart, helmets, gloves, shoes, suits, and the actual racing. After a season, at least, apply to upgrade to K2/K1 where we fine tune our passion for speed in an environment we try to resemble as closely to actual competitive racing environment.

For K2/K1 category, some issues we had were kart allocation. Although the early season balloting makes for a fair allocation, some "lucky" ones end up with superb kart performance. No real complaints on this point though, but just to make it more "fun", maybe we wanna re-ballot the karts mid season to open up the "chances" for higher point collection :P

[quote=TheFazz]continuing discussion from http://club.my-kart.org/node/3761

[quote=Esmond Yong]"we opted for the former. initially there were spares available but we ended up with just enough karts for the finals - due to many failures during the day."

This were the reason i got penalize not because i did something wrong or break the my-kart rules, but because of the lack of coordination of karts. Kart #42 was given to me randomly and not by me picking that kart. And i got penalize because my-kart couldnt supply another spare karts to me. I hope this cases won't happen again on next month race. Cheers.[/quote]

again, esmond - fair point.

yes, i admit my-kart couldn't supply any spare karts which meant that you had to take #42. but you also have to think of the top qualifying driver who was denied the choice of #42 because the coordinators for the K3 finals felt that #42 had a significant unfair advantage over the other karts.

what would you suggest? (K3 volunteers - feel free to chip in here)[/quote]

To Esmond..

I do agree and ur justification for me is pretty valid..as the kart that you have selected on the earlier balloting for the finals was not able to start on the grid..(if not mistaken the pull start cable snapped?)..and there was no other option for you to drive kart #42.. Also same case happen on Zul's kart.. And he has to drive another kart..

Situation like this does happen..but theres no such rule written / informed on this matter (espcially for non regular drivers)..refering to on cases like this..

In this case..I wont mind if the DQ on your results will be imposed .. But it's depens in majority for the K3 Final A drivers and the MyKart committee to decide..

------------

As a regular volunteer for K3 races...theres cases that drivers that insisting to change karts among their friends in the same (claiming that the kart was not performing..ect)..if the changes is due to seat size it's understandable .. This this case is it fair for the drivers who drive that particular kart on the group before and a driver changing the kart to another kart for better qualifying points? Personally..I dont think it's fair..this is a note to my self and to other drivers as well..But by claiming kart is not performing.. We can't complain much as its a fun kart..we can't expect much in terms of performance..(yet..unless CK is planning to do a full maintanace plan on the 80cc) haha..

Also on certain K3 races, we need an extra hand from the regular drivers..as like last..most volunteers was running on the final A..and the kart arrangement was not done properly and most of them don't understand the order of the grid.. But it's still manageable in a way..

[quote=rizalkhalid]On equipment quality, my views are the best karts will be in K1 or K2. This is where everybody would want to be at. The target is to have exclusve karts for mykart which drivers will partner to "take care" and "maintain" the kart while learning the finer skills of racing and off track skills.

K3, which is run on rental karts, are entry level category where we all learn to drive competitively. It is rather difficult to ensure best quality karts as this relate closely to commercial feasibility. Rest assured that ALL mykart members would have to and/or had been through the ups and downs of driving the 80cc comer karts. And rest assured that K3 is not where we compete the finer skills of racing.

On K3, weight and "luck" are factors contributing to successful outing. There are just too many variables to mention in K3--kart performance, driver weight, chasis quality, tyre quality, tyre pressure, kart allocation, driver skills, etc etc.

Based on my experience, mykart has the best system, process, and procedure for a "fair" competition on rental karts.
1. for heats, karts arrangements are fixed on the grid. only driver grid position change in reverse order for the two heats.
2. drivers need to pay attention to kart performance
3. finals are determined by qualifying points
4. best driver chooses kart first but line up last on the grid

In K3, drivers develop that sense of competition albeit not always a very fair one. The element of responsibility and volunteerism. Mykart provides a platform for people of the same interest to mingle with each other, in an organized manner, to enjoy doing what we all share in common. apart from racing skills, race ethics, and race procedures, we encourage members to participate in kart sorting, allocation, gridding, race marshalling, lapcharts, point system, etc. Winning the K3 category is for the fun and enjoyment of it. It is not a conclusive show of race craft. For that, you need to upgrade to K2/K1 category.

So, K3 participants, hang in there. Participate in all aspects of racing. Familiar ourselves with each other, event organizing, mykart, helmets, gloves, shoes, suits, and the actual racing. After a season, at least, apply to upgrade to K2/K1 where we fine tune our passion for speed in an environment we try to resemble as closely to actual competitive racing environment.[/quote]

I like...

Well said Bro Rizal..I can't agree more on the point provided..

+1 here..

[quote=rizalkhalid]For K2/K1 category, some issues we had were kart allocation. Although the early season balloting makes for a fair allocation, some "lucky" ones end up with superb kart performance. No real complaints on this point though, but just to make it more "fun", maybe we wanna re-ballot the karts mid season to open up the "chances" for higher point collection :P[/quote]

I am incline to vote for kart re - balloting somewhere mid season in the interest of "more fun". However, it would be unfair for those who have "painstakingly looked after their karts" to possibly lose it after re-balloting. It be will become a double whammy if they balloted an "inferior" kart to the one they had before.

...but lets hear more views all for the sake of more excitement and fun I suppose.

[quote=rizalkhalid]
....... Winning the K3 category is for the fun and enjoyment of it. It is not a conclusive show of race craft. For that, you need to upgrade to K2/K1 category.

So, K3 participants, hang in there. Participate in all aspects of racing. Familiar ourselves with each other, event organizing, mykart, helmets, gloves, shoes, suits, and the actual racing. After a season, at least, apply to upgrade to K2/K1 where we fine tune our passion for speed in an environment we try to resemble as closely to actual competitive racing environment.[/quote]

Well said bro...I second this view!

[quote=naza][quote=rizalkhalid]For K2/K1 category, some issues we had were kart allocation. Although the early season balloting makes for a fair allocation, some "lucky" ones end up with superb kart performance. No real complaints on this point though, but just to make it more "fun", maybe we wanna re-ballot the karts mid season to open up the "chances" for higher point collection :P[/quote]

I am incline to vote for kart re - balloting somewhere mid season in the interest of "more fun". However, it would be unfair for those who have "painstakingly looked after their karts" to possibly lose it after re-balloting. It be will become a double whammy if they balloted an "inferior" kart to the one they had before.

...but lets hear more views all for the sake of more excitement and fun I suppose.[/quote]

Yeap, i have to agree with uncle naza here. re-balloting for K1 in mid season is fun especially if you get the superb kart. but, if you've been taking care of your kart all along and suddenly after the re-balloting you're given the kart that had been involved in numerous accidents, that's not so nice :(.

But, let's hear more from others ;)

[quote=camel90][quote=naza][quote=rizalkhalid]For K2/K1 category, some issues we had were kart allocation. Although the early season balloting makes for a fair allocation, some "lucky" ones end up with superb kart performance. No real complaints on this point though, but just to make it more "fun", maybe we wanna re-ballot the karts mid season to open up the "chances" for higher point collection :P[/quote]

...but lets hear more views all for the sake of more excitement and fun I suppose.[/quote]

Yeap, i have to agree with uncle naza here. re-balloting for K1 in mid season is fun especially if you get the superb kart. but, if you've been taking care of your kart all along and suddenly after the re-balloting you're given the kart that had been involved in numerous accidents, that's not so nice :(.

But, let's hear more from others ;)[/quote]
I feel and based on the lap times set for the WHOLE DAY(I could be wrong ;)), that the karts ARE comparable and quite similar. So, I dont think there are any karts performing way above the other karts.

[quote=razin1008]i think my-kart should provide trophy/medal for every my-kart round :)[/quote]

sure, but anybody willing to make this happen? ;)

ahmad.azianarizal

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 - 08:40

In reply to by TheFazz

[quote=TheFazz]sure, but anybody willing to make this happen? ;)[/quote]

Just an idea.. How about to have an extra charge on fee for trophies..?? What I mean is for K3 from RM100 to RM105 / RM110 and K1 from RM200 to RM205 / RM210.. The extra of RM5 / RM10 for each fee will use to buy trophies for podium winners.

Actually I adopted this idea at the time when I was joint the grass root racing in Singapore.. Maybe we can use the same way but it is depend on you guys.. :P

Just my 2 cent.. ;)

[quote=TheFazz][quote=razin1008]i think my-kart should provide trophy/medal for every my-kart round :)[/quote]

sure, but anybody willing to make this happen? ;)[/quote]

Sponsor can make it happen ;)

[quote=ahmad.azianarizal][quote=TheFazz]sure, but anybody willing to make this happen? ;)[/quote]

Just an idea.. How about to have an extra charge on fee for trophies..?? What I mean is for K3 from RM100 to RM105 / RM110 and K1 from RM200 to RM205 / RM210.. The extra of RM5 / RM10 for each fee will use to buy trophies for podium winners.

Actually I adopted this idea at the time when I was joint the grass root racing in Singapore.. Maybe we can use the same way but it is depend on you guys.. :P

Just my 2 cent.. ;)[/quote]

I am sorry, but this "method" has elements of gambling (judi) and is forbidden. At the very least, it is syubahah.

Let's try other methods.

ahmad.azianarizal

Mon, 30 Jan 2012 - 09:02

In reply to by rizalkhalid

[quote=rizalkhalid]
I am sorry, but this "method" has elements of gambling (judi) and is forbidden. At the very least, it is syubahah.

Let's try other methods.[/quote]

Alamak..!! Really 'tak perasan' la..!! ;( Thank you very much abang Rizal for remind me about this.. I really appreciate it..!! :up: